Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I'm not new to running and have ran for a long time. I've recently been getting problems when running, it's quite embarassing as i need the toilet(number 2).
I was wondering if anyone had any diet advice or anything that could potentially help this as I simply don't need to go before running, but it's having an effect as I can't seem to get further than 13-14 miles without needing it.

Sorry it's a taboo subject but any help would be amazing.

thanks

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Don't worry Michael... I'm sure it's a lot more common than you realise - obviosuly it's just not a topic that's talked about as much as the latest pair of trainers you've bought. ;)

Too much fibre can often leave runners with the trots... particularly on race days where nerves seem to come into the equation as well! (I guess that could be co-incidence?). So it could be diet?

I tend to find I have stomach trouble after my very hardest sessions - whether this is a 'very' (by my standards) long run at a good strong pace, or a speedwork session where I'm giving everything I've got. So it could potentially be a result of pushing yourself right to the limit?

Perhaps try monitoring how much fibre goes in... and also how long you leave between eating and running?

Failing that, does the same thing occur on shorter runs?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
This has been a quite highly discussed topic. I'm sure there have been many previous threads on it. I tend to find i need to go after my run. Long runs play havoc with my bowels, but thankfully I've never needed to go whilst actually running. Perhaps try running later in the day? Or maybe leave more time after you eat? Another solution may be to take Imodium or something. Others I'm sure will give better advice.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
No easy answers but it is definately more common than you think. I fart like a trouper when I run :)

Try leaving a bigger gap between eating and running would be a start

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
On Race day or long run days (normally Sundays) I tend to get up really early (even 6am) to have breakfast and just generally walk about the house to 'get things moving'! Otherwise I know it will come about during the run. If you tend to just get up and head out straight away...then I can imagine this being a problem as you body gets into gear. I know this means sacrificing a lie-in... but I think you will agree that compared with the potential disaster, its worth it!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
On Race day or long run days (normally Sundays) I tend to get up really early (even 6am) to have breakfast and just generally walk about the house to 'get things moving'! Otherwise I know it will come about during the run.!
My way of doing things exactly Ros.

If things don`t quite move quick enough I have sometimes started with a quick mile close to home so I can pop indoors.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Another bote for Ros's method... I'll always make sure I get up to eat brekky a good 2hours or more before running... this only really applies to race days and long runs for me though (it did however mean a 5:30am start last Sunday)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i have to admit, that im blessed with being.. err regular.. and can guarentee that within 15mins of wakeing up im on the loo, although i think this is down to my regular morning routine...

do you run in the morning? how long between getting up before you set out?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
and drinking plenty or water helps to keep your system clear too ;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Ive only ever had this issue once and it was while I was running along an empty beach (luckly!) I had to run up to the dunes and do what needed to be done because it was so sore....I found out later I wasnt the only one having issues it was due to a dodgy keg of beer that we had been drinking the night before! Grrrr......
I tend to be fine on long races but as Hrun said, I also tend to fart quite a bit so if your ever running near me, stand to the side or infront :)

O.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
And don't worry, even the greatest of Marathon runners has famously (or notoriously) needed to stop to take an, erm, break by the roadside :cool:

·
Registered
408 Posts
got a bit of a rant!

I have never really sufferred from this issue before so read it with a little intrigue earlier.
I then go out for my run tonight and half way through, I was forced to *ahem* find suitable cover *ahem* :embarrassed:

most annoyed, but to be honest now is a little funny!!!:lol:

does make me wonder if it only happened because it was fresh in my head though :unsure:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is it on race day? Then I guess it'd just be nerves.

Otherwise maybe leave a bigger gap after eating as others suggested. But just the process of running is making your body parts pass food though quick due to all the moving around and so it might just be inevitable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts