Runners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To say the least I'm more than a little rattled the 'return of the twit' thread has been closed.

While I appreciate that the thread had come to it's natural end with the 'retirement' brumbear, I dont think that closing the thread sends out the right message with regards to freedom of opinion.

Admittedly BB was provocative with his posts, but he had said from the outset that he shouldn't be taken too seriously, in fact by calling the thread 'return of the twit' it should really have told all readers that this was a contributor looking for fun.

I am always aware that some are easily offended and provided I'm not provoked I'm not out to deliberately upset anyone. However, sometimes a thread can take some ammusing and unexpected paths which will often lead to some friendly banter. Unfortunately, there seems to be a few around here that can't grasp the concept of banter or irony.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
scr8pe said:
While I appreciate that the thread had come to it's natural end with the 'retirement' brumbear, I dont think that closing the thread sends out the right message with regards to freedom of opinion.

Admittedly BB was provocative with his posts, but he had said from the outset that he shouldn't be taken too seriously, in fact by calling the thread 'return of the twit' it should really have told all readers that this was a contributor looking for fun.
Well I think you've just summed up the reason why it was closed. It came to it's natural end and there was no real point letting it continue.

What happened was really a difference of opinion. Brumbear came in quite hyper sounding and basically, gave his opinions in a slightly forceful way and then when people replied to them, he disclaimed them as "just joking". The whole PB thing was rather overlaboured, and I don't think the implied insults (which I don't think were jokes) did him any favours.

As an aside, I don't think anyone was at "fault" in that thread. It really was just a difference of personalities.

If he chooses to approach a new location in such a forthcoming way then that's his choice, but there is going to be the risk of people being offended and replying as such. The thing to remember about text communication is that even with smilies it can be hard to detect sarcasm and the joking approach.

In terms of freedom of opinion.. I personally think the thread was closed at just the right time and to be honest I probably would've requested closure if richard hadn't done so.

Unless you want to re-read "I was only kidding" several more times and go in a few more circles, there was really nothing more to be gained, but the risk of it getting worse was there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went out for a curry for the night, and was surprised to see what happened as I thought that he had got 'over the hump' and was getting on ok here now, as he was posting on different bits of the forum.

Were some of the posts deleted? Only I'm surprised that it got that heated.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
scr8pe said:
To say the least I'm more than a little rattled the 'return of the twit' thread has been closed.

I am always aware that some are easily offended and provided I'm not provoked I'm not out to deliberately upset anyone. However, sometimes a thread can take some ammusing and unexpected paths which will often lead to some friendly banter. Unfortunately, there seems to be a few around here that can't grasp the concept of banter or irony.
Fun stops being fun; and amusing stops being amusing when posts become deliberately inflammatory and belligerently provocative.

Some people like aggressive humour. You maybe one of these people, Scr8pe. I can't speak for everyone else, but I get the impression that more than a couple of forum users (myself amongst them) are more than a little uncomfortable with this approach.

"Look; I'm going to be rude to you, right? But it's OK because I've already said that I shouldn't be taken seriously. So there's really no need to try and defend yourself, is there? And even if you do, I'll just insult you some more. You just sit there and let me walk all over you. But that'll be alright as well, won't it? Look at me, I'm a famous actor don't you know?"

This had nothing to do with people being "easily offended". How many of the regular contributors actually found this banter "friendly"? How many honestly positive reactions did his posts elicit?

C'mon Scr8pe, you know as well as I do that this forum is absolutely full of irony/sarcasm, banter, double entendre and even some harmless flirting. Harmless... no real victims... no name-calling. it's fun. It's friendly. It's positive.

BB? Boorish Bully.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
whats a PB ?

i know about NB cos i have two pairs.

come to think of it isn't PB a bear too ?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think it was the right time to close it. It had come to a natural end and anyone posting on it now would just bump it up and start things off all over again.

I'm not easily offended, very far from it, and brumbear certainly didn't offend me, but I found his tone on that thread very aggressive rather than fun, and not really very amusing most of the time (and I AM easily amused :p ). I also found it strange that he waved his fame at us - I've found in the past that people who are likely to be known are very circumspect on forums and tend to hide their identity, not wave it around for all to see.

Anyhow, it takes all sorts and I think it's a shame that he felt he had to go, if he really has (hello BB if you're lurking ;) ), but it will certainly be a little calmer around here without him. Whether calmer is a good thing will depend on your point of view, of course.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Whatever your opinions on Brumbear's contributions here - I really don't think it's fair to be putting up links to his "private" life on Runners Forum.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by closing the thread, and whilst ultimately it's not my forum to decide what's right and wrong, I felt it was in the best interest of the forum to close the thread.

Personally I don't want to see brumbear dissappear from the forum, and would like to see him stick around for running advice, opinions and discussions - after all that's what the forum is here for.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by closing the thread, and whilst ultimately it's not my forum to decide what's right and wrong, I felt it was in the best interest of the forum to close the thread.

Personally I don't want to see brumbear dissappear from the forum, and would like to see him stick around for running advice, opinions and discussions - after all that's what the forum is here for.
I think Richard did the right thing with this, the thread was going nowhere and was not really relevant to the topic of the forum. Sometimes we just have to say enough is enough.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Granty said:
Having not been online for a while sounds like I've missed the action, typical !! ;)

Hang on a second............

Granty disappears, BB appears then disappears,Granty returns????????????

Not that I'm suspicious.:confused: :p

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Singularity said:
lol, well I completely missed that other thread so just I've spent my whole lunch hour reading 12 or so pages of posts
Same here, very entertaining. However, Richard was correct to close it as it was going nowhere fast! Same as this thread really.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
richardsimkiss said:
Three cheers Richard. I think the points here have been well made for all sides of this argument and having listened to everyones point of view, I'm happy to accept that closing the thread wasn't sticking two fingers up to BB and that perhaps it was the right decision after all.

...maybe as a sign that this silly row is over and to acknowledge that may be I was wrong to regurgitate the whole episode, this thread should be closed too?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.