Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I reckon that in 2 months I can train up some more and push myself a bit more and do the Malvern Half in 1hr 47 (or there abouts, the course isn't completely flat, but I'll over-train in that department in Sheffield no-doubt). I think that's equivelent to 8:10 min/miles. I was fairly comfortable on Sunday doing the Sheffield Half, and in my training plan I do tempo runs at that speed... so yeah... I'm going to go for it.

I'm telling you all this because when I tell people I'm going to do stuff I don't let myself chicken out so much... am I being unreasonable though? :embarrassed:

I'm totally itching to get out for a run though, feel like I haven't ran in forever heh.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I wouldn't say so, I think I'd do the same it would help to keep me focused.

I think you've done really well, keep it up:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Letting folk know you are going to do something is a very good motivator!!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Go go gadget legs......oh! sorry, I mean go for it! I know what you mean about telling people and then sticking to it. Ive done it before on here and it does work :)

O.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked in my degree... "I'm going to the library at 7am and I'll be there to 9pm every day this week"... I kept that up for 4 whole days!! That was in second year as well... the dedication!!! In third year I spent maybe 2 days in the library - and only cuz I needed to use their printers and stuff heh. This year I went in to the library at about 4am cuz I was walking home and needed a pee... See... it's a downward spiral.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Uni library's are actually REALLY good... it wasn't until probably the last month of uni that I found out how many books the uni had on running and sports etc... by which point I was full on with my final bits of project work - wish I'd known sooner :(

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol well our new information commons was literally just opened when I was doing my dissertation thingy, they were still moving around a ton of books, and I found some fairly random things that I couldn't believe they'd wasted their money on (especially because my dept is always complaining that they don't have enough of our core texts...) but yeah I came across one about the chi of running or something... which was random... I would expect something like that to be in the health sciences library, but in all the time I spent in the HS library I never came across anything at all good, apart from a journal on anal dysfunction... teehee.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Do students still use books then? I thought it was all done from pcs these days!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... see that's the thing, in third year (and now of course) all my reading was from primary literature (ie scientific jounrals) which are all available online. Which is probably why I never went to the library. I have my own lil library of folders stuffed full of papers now though... can't see when I'm ever going to use them again, but I can't bare to throw them out - all that time and effort that went in to reading them in the first place...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
So glad all that is behind me...except being on the Nat I may have to study again...'orrible thought!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha well... I kinda miss it actually. I had sooooo much free time - fitting in runs was never a chore and when it was nice out I could easily go to the park and sit and read... now though I'm cooped up in the lab all day, miss all the good weather, and have RTP crap (like that report) when I get home... but then that's all done and dusted now... but still... students don't know how good they've got it! (god I'm getting old!!)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I bet you think policeman are getting younger too!!

Oh to be a student again...no money, the odd lecture and sport all day!

.........oh yes and the odd beer!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah exactly! It's weird how EVERYTHING has changed since I graduated! I've moved on from beer and cider to wine and cocktails (although I do love my ale... bring on the beer fest!), I have ENOUGH money... I can actually eat out with my non-student friends in nice restaurants instead of 'spoons curry night... I can actually pay for myself to go back home... In some ways I feel liberated, but in others I feel really restrained :(

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
A case of welcome to the real world eh...still at least you've money and a job.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Money... not especially. I get a stipend, don't think it can be considered an actual wage... and job... not really - I'm a post-graduate student. Still, I get paid more than teaching assistants. My housemates gets quite a bit less than me and is taxed on it, and she teaches kids who have been expelled in a community centre program thing... she puts up with sooooooooo much crap. She is a saint.

But yeah, I tell this to my first year undergrads who are INCREDIBLY lazy... I wasn't that lazy when I was their age (some of them are my age...) but they're all spoilt rich kids anyways, so I don't think they care.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts