Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Unfortunately when out running Saturday my ankle went over again (Re-Occuring injury) ! I was hoping to give it a few days rest and be back on the road tomorrow although i'm not sure if this is sensible what do you guys think?

I can put my full weight onto the ankle and walk without to much of an issue. The trouble is it seems to stiffen and throb when i keep it still for to long time and sitting behind a desk that is unfortunatley the case. I'm hoping i've just buised the ankle although i'm aware i will be at an increased risk of injury if i strap it i hope i will be ok!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi

Sorry to hear, sounds like you are already doing the best you can, it may need a little longer rest time, I wouldn't normally suggest taking pills but have you tried ibuprofen it is an anti inflamatory which will help bring the swelling down if you have some?

TT :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you icing it? Bag of frozen peas wrapped up in a damp tea cloth, put on your ankle for 10 -12 minutes with your foot elevated.
Also in the long term you need to do some proprioception work to stop this from reoccurring. In a nutshell proprioception is the feedback mechanism which tells your brain what position your joints are in. When you have your eyes open your brain gets a lot of visual feedback as well, but if you for instance hit a pothole you need the proprioceptive feedback mechanism to work rapidly and effectively to stop you going over on your ankle. This mechanism doesn't return to as good as it was before a sprain unless you rehab it - that's why when people have sprained an ankle once they often are at risk of doing it recurrently. It is simple to rehab it, just standing on one leg with your eyes closed is a start, then make it harder for yourself by for instance getting one of those small trampettes and doing some balance work on that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've injured one of my ankles multiple times. Since I was in school when the majority of the injuries occurred, I was sitting still and behind a desk a lot. I made sure not to constantly keep my ankle still under the desk...I would flex it back and forth, and rotate it around in small circles ever few minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts