Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
really annoyingly, after not doing anything special i've somehow damaged ankle ligaments/tendons, i'm not sure which. sore at back of ankle behind knobly bit when walk or poke it.so how about sweepstake as to when i'm better? 2 days, 2 weeks? i'll buy a beer for the nearest guess...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
sorry to hear but I reckon 17 days :mad:

·
Registered
32 Posts
lol This is pretty interesting I hurt my ankle tendon 2 days ago - its sore but I ran today and had 0 problems - its still sore.... lol

I give you 1 week 3 days without running

1 week with running + doctor

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
gavsrunning said:
when i can run and it dosent hurt afterwards.

Means your not trying hard enough Gav.......................;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
really? im all for running on it but thought it would only aggrivate it. so carry on regardless or rest it?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Rest it.

Last time I had an ankle problem I kept running on it,but it didn`t heal until I gave it 3 weeks proper rest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well found out couple weeks ago i have torn my achillies tendon. still planning on doing marathon, just have changed goals, just going to be a lot trickier in training...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not too bad now thanks. my physio says i'll be able to run twice a week only on sand or grass,one short and one long run, upto race and have to do cycling etc for rest of training. so as well as being paranoid about tendon, am also a lot more worried about completing the race... but hey ho, whats the worse that can happen?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
not too bad now thanks. my physio says i'll be able to run twice a week only on sand or grass,one short and one long run, upto race and have to do cycling etc for rest of training. so as well as being paranoid about tendon, am also a lot more worried about completing the race... but hey ho, whats the worse that can happen?
I'm surprised to see that with an achilles injury, you've ben recommended to run on sand. I've always been led to believe that running on sand places the achilles under added strain.:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was told it was to lessen impact, however your not the first to say this and apparently marine PTI's have stopped running recruits on the sand because there were more injuries. so i dont know...

·
Registered
34 Posts
So Gavs - hope you don't mind me asking but how is the ankle now and how long did you end up resting for etc. I seem to have developed a smiliar injury it happened last Monday - still tender to touch but can walk etc with no problem. Haven't trried running again yet as I'm really not sure what I did in the first place. Would be very interested to here how yours is now.
MJ

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
I'm surprised to see that with an achilles injury, you've ben recommended to run on sand. I've always been led to believe that running on sand places the achilles under added strain.:confused:
That was my understanding to Mr p were they specific about the sand type eg soft, hard the sinky stuff I'd be worried about risking more injury on the ripply stuff too . i'm ssure ther are some fancy names for the types of specific sand but you get my drift i hope :embarrassed:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i rested it for 3 weeks.it stopped hurting after a week,but was told to rest it for a couple more. i did a 40 min run on hard sand last sunday, 30 min mid week and an hour and 15 today on grass with no flare up of tendon. i dont know if it was recommended or i assumed but i ran on hard sand. think im going to stick to grass from now on though. need to travel to go on long run now i think, running in circles round fields is doing my head in!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts