Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone actually use 0.5 or 1kg ankle weights while training? What are the benefits and drawbacks? I have read the hype on the manufacturers sites i was wondering what the practical truth was

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Jeesh. As if running wasn't hard enough, people put weights on their ankles? I imagine it takes the fun out of running and probably makes you suceptible to injury.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
There is an inherent risk of injury, it'll add to the shock transmitted though the joints but also change your running style but throwing off your natural biomechanics.

If you want to increase resistance within your training, and add weight to yourself for runs, the best way to do it is to distribute the weight as evenly as possible - not an easy task but I'd imagine something like a weighted vest is not far from the best you're going to be able to manage?!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
There is an inherent risk of injury, it'll add to the shock transmitted though the joints but also change your running style but throwing off your natural biomechanics.

If you want to increase resistance within your training, and add weight to yourself for runs, the best way to do it is to distribute the weight as evenly as possible - not an easy task but I'd imagine something like a weighted vest is not far from the best you're going to be able to manage?!
Also, wouldn't running up hills be the best way to develop endurance and resistance? I can't imagine that ankle weights or weighted vests would significantly improve your running.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Good question! but I guess we're unlikely to ever really find out which method would be more beneficial. Hill training is obviously going to improve strength etc, but carrying extra weight when running will work the muscles and cardio system much harder (depending on how much extra weight you're carrying) - I've no idea how effective it is in comparison to other training methods, but I've no doubt it would be beneficial.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with all of the above, if I want an extra workout, I'll do hill work. There are far too many legs injuries to worry about without putting extra stress on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts