Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was prevented from running as far as I wanted too tonight by a stitch in my abs. No amount of massage would make it go away until I stopped to walk. Why do they happen and how can they be prevented?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I guess the most obvious thing to ask is whether or not you'd left enough time in between your last meal and your run! I don't know if it's a load of nonsense but when I ran track years back my P.E. teacher used to tell me that, if my stitch was on the right hand side, I should exhale as my right foot hit the floor. I've remembered it ever since and it's probably complete bollocks! :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I waited just over an hour before running, should I be waiting longer then? or snacking before I go and then having a meal when I come back?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I don't think anyone knows why you get stiches. Seems to be random with me. The one and only way to get rid of it, without stopping running, is to control breathing. Others might be able to give more specific advice, but you need to take very deep, slow breaths for a while until it just goes. It's uncomfortable doing this whilst running, but it does work after about 20 -30 seconds.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I waited just over an hour before running, should I be waiting longer then? or snacking before I go and then having a meal when I come back?
You probably need to allow more time between eating and running.....I can't run unless there's been a gap of at least 4hours after eating...each to their own though. You need to find out what is right for you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You probably need to allow more time between eating and running.....I can't run unless there's been a gap of at least 4hours after eating...each to their own though. You need to find out what is right for you.
Hmmmm I'm usually starving by the time I get home so like to have dinner then go out running after but dont like being out too late.

Perhaps I could have a snack early afternoon to keep me going till my run then have a meal after? worth a try anyway

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
4 hours? wow. I often run 20-30 minutes after eating, but prefer to leave an hour if possible. Never given me any problems. I would be seriously annoyed if I had to wait 4 hours.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'd agree with Steve about leaving a nice big gap between meals and your run. If you're going to have something small shortly before a run make sure it's simple carbs / sugars so that you're body doesn't have to work to digest it while you're pounding the pavements :)

I find my body craves carbs after a run and it's usually a good idea - depending on how much you've exerted yourself - to have a carb-rich meal after a run to help to replenish your energy stores.

That's the kind of regime I keep to, but I may yet be corrected :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Yeah, I'm with roadrunner with the carbs. Also, make sure you get protein after a run to help rebuild damaged tissue. I think runners should eat far more carbs than the average person. I certainly do and it seems to help my running.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I can usually go between an hour and a half and 2 hours after eating.
I've done less, but I feel slightly off.
More than 2 hours and I feel a bit light headed :lol:
On Tuesdays I have a pasta about 3pm and then a banana at about 5pm for my horrible hill run at 6pm.
That usually works for me.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
yeah, running on a full stomach is not good for stitches...

i prefer running on a near empty stomach but i'm not strict about this - i agree with JBB that often this isn't possible to do...

you hear a lot of hype about 'bananas' and 'breathing techniques' but i doubt either stop stitching...

what i found that does help is carrying on running - get fewer stitches now...

also, doing exercises to strengthen the core muscles (obliques, abs and lower back) helps...

google 'plank', 'side plank' and 'superman'...

that's more than enough for me...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suffered again with a stitch tonight which was a right pain as I was flying and on course to do 2 miles in less than 20 minutes. Perhaps I set off to fast? It cant be food related as I hadnt eaten for a good 4 hours before I ran. I'm starting to think I need to work more on strengthening my tummy muscles?

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I've found deep controlled breathing helps should I feel a stitch coming on. For me deeply in for 4 strides then out for 4 strides wards it off, once it's gone I return to my normal panting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've read that diaphragmatic breathing helps with stitches. It's basically learning to breathe in such a way that your inhaling increases the size of your belly, as opposed to your chest. It's apparently closer to the way we breathe as babies (whereas when we grow up, our natural breathing goes up to our chests; then by the time we're old we're struggling for air as we breathe closer to the throat). It's a basic technique adopted by singers, too (which is the angle from which I first read about it).

When I'm running I do generally try to breathe like this, and I don't know how much of it is a placebo thing, but it does seem to feel better, and more efficient. What's more is that I have had minor stitches whilst running, and after consciously breathing into my stomach whilst running for a while, as far as I can remember, they've ended up going away (but again, that could be placebo stuff, so take that with a pinch of salt :)).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hate stitches! I've always thought it was your body's way of telling to cool your jets a bit, maybe wrong. I find if you plough on through them they go away and the more use to running i've got, the less 'painful' they seem to be and quicker they go. It's like my body's thinking 'oh he's into this running lark now, won't give him too much of a stitch then even if i am a bit tired'!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts