Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise that some people are more bothered than others about maintaining their anonymity on sites such as this: but is everyone aware that it is relatively easy to uncover an identity using race results information from public profiles? :(

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Oh yes, it's really easy, especially when the venue and finishing time/place are mentioned.

A long lost friend once got back in touch through a running forum where I wrote.
It was that simple.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Identity theft is obviously a big problem that seems to be increasing in recent times (or perhaps just awareness of it has increased?).

Sadly if someone is determined enough they'll probably find out what they need to about you. Just because my name on this forum isn't anonymous, it doesn't necessarily mean my details are any more available that the rest of the people who finished the same race as me - the results are after all publicly available.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Have you tried googling your name to see what comes up? :rolleyes:

I think there is only so much you can do to protect your own identity... which, lets face it, is more than the HM Tax & Renenue offices do :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
Have you tried googling your name to see what comes up? :rolleyes:

I think there is only so much you can do to protect your own identity... which, lets face it, is more than the HM Tax & Renenue offices do :confused:

Just did...I'm really interesting to know ..... :rolleyes: :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Trinity you must of read my mind because i just said that to someone on email a minute ago.

Weird what comes up!!!

HM Customs have lost my child benefit details anyway so i am a lost cause

;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts