Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the Boggart Chase 10k today in sunny North Manchester - was a hilly course so I wasn't expecting to PB, and was astonished when I had run the first 4k, including a steep hill, at sub 50 pace.

My Garmin seemed to screw up in the last 2k, it went from 8.4k back to 8.27 for some reason (lot of tree cover overhead?) and then was only at 8.5 when I reached the 9k marker, so my splits for the latter half are messed up, but generally I ran the second half slower as the hills were pretty sapping - was good to put my hill work to use though, as people would overtake me on the flat parts, but I always seemed to have more than them on the hills and on the last one left them for dead. My legs were dead but I just kept going to the finish, couldn't manage to sprint past one more, but at least I wasn't overtaken in the last 5k by anybody and picked off a good few and won all the little mini races I had in my head with people along the way :)

My last PB was 2 weeks ago on a "PB" course in perfect cool conditions, so am really pleased to have got another PB on a hilly course and in the hot sun as well.

I feel a sub 50 is only another race away - unfortunately I might have to wait for some time before the next 10k near me :(

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry thought I had put it in somewhere!! :lol:

51:40

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Fantastic to have PB'd on a harder course - and sounds like your hill training did you proud :) No need for me to say it really, but sub 50 really is just round the corner for you ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well done, RRR
it's always great to get a PB. Incidentally, I ran a 10K myself today and came home in 51.08 - 11 seconds slower than my PB. I set my Garmin 201 in training assistant mode and dialled in 49 minutes as my target. I felt like I was going ok then got taken out by a stitch at 7K but recovered around 8K. My Garmin was misleading too, I had it set on mile splits, perhaps I should have had it on kilometre splits instead as I actually slowed earlier in the race when it told me I was going to fast. Looks like our competition for the elusive sub-50 will continue:) That said, I did love the race and I'm enjoying my running and fitness more than I've ever done recently which is just as important. Good to read your report too. I haven't got another 10k lined up but I might try and get one in for about November after my Half next month if I can:)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well done Rob, was wondering how you got on, sounds like you were there or thereabouts, well done on beating the dreaded stitch :d

Indeed our competition continues - I've PB'd in my last 3 races now, in fact I feel quite deflated at the prospect of no more 10k's for a bit, will keep my eye out though. Might be time I got some official times for other distances, there's a ten miler near me in December, and a 5 mile trail race in Jan - will be nice to keep the races up just for the pleasure of the atmosphere etc, as much as anything else. Will see about a half next year perhaps, although I just enjoy 10k's so much :) Good luck with your prep for the half you're doing :cool:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Great running boys.

You`ll both be under 50 pretty soon.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Congrats guys and good running. I'm sure the sub 50 is its way.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Congrats rob, and good luck to you Owain!

I'll add a not so subtle plug for the forum social at Castle Combe... if you want a PB, it's probably the best course to do it! :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts