Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone could offer advise - whilst running (regardless of pace / distance) my left calf muscle starts to feel tight, not sore, but tight. I have even found myself stopping to try and stretch it out mid run but thats not really helping. I wondered if was due to hydration, but its not cramping it feels 'tight' and when I stop running the tightness disappears. I had an ankle tendon injury (right side/other leg) at the end of June and whilst getting that treated I had my shoes and stance checked so unsure if perhaps this is a problem.
Any hints / tips gratefully received :( again.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
How far into your run does it start? Do you warm up properly??

Could be a bit more stretching before you set off might help.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I remember reading somewhere in the forum about the importance of the soleus stretch as well as the usual 'hands against the wall' calf stretch?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Stand with your toes on a step and your heels hanging down. There are links to diagrams if you search the forum. I find this very good.
My osteopath recommended this stretch today... Take heed of Hrun's words! ;)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
My osteopath recommended this stretch today... Take heed of Hrun's words! ;)
Very little of what I say is original :( What I like about this one is you stretch both legs at the same time. The tighter one always hurts first and once they are both good you are ready. I have actually not run the next day if one hurts alot earlier. Hopefully it will stop some injuries catching me out.

That was original :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
this sounds very similar to my own problem. I ran 12 miles last sunday and ran through what I thought was tightness. Next day I was uncomfortable. rested two days. had two long sessions (very boring!) on an exercise bike weds, thurs and rested fri sat. I am now pondering a run today but I have a niggling doubt that I may have strained it.
How does one know? There are no bruises, I can walk freely but jogging or going upstairs causes pain.

Freakily, I also did ankle damage to the opposite leg in february which set me back. just a niggling thing but I wonder if I (and you) am still overcompensating for it in terms of running style? Could it be in the mind still?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How bizzare KD!!!!!!! Perhaps we are two of a kind. I did think that perhaps the calf was sore because I hadn't been walking properly on the other leg for nearly 6 weeks, and that perhaps I was over compensating with the 'good' leg. Funny old business. I agree with the mind thing as I am still a little scared of damaging the ankle again although (touching wood) I have had no bother since starting running (ha ha jogging/plodding) again 5 weeks ago. Unlike you I have no pain when doing anything else though.
I have also put part of the blame / problem down to be a little de-hydrated. I have a totally frantic job in a very busy office and I often forget just the basics of eating, drinking and toilet breaks. Since I have made a more conscious effort to refill my water bottle and actually drink it the calf has been a bit better - although I am sure the additional stretching tips help two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts