Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Without doubt, Miles - what the hell is a KM anyway, it's like feet and inches, we all knew where we were before meters.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Me, I prefer km's. I grew up with them, and have a very good feeling for how far a km is. Not so with miles. Plus miles are so much further (1.6km), so it always sounds as though you've achieved so much more when you can say you've run 'five' km rather than just a measly 'three' miles.

Give me km any day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Km's for me. I used to teach navigation in the hills and as all OS maps are km that's what I am familiar with.

Dave

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with Dan.....not literally you'll understand!
No idea what my mins/km are but know what I do per mile on an average run so can guestimate the distance run fairly accurately.

What's a track?! Aren't they for athletes rather than runners?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I seem to be constantly converting from one to the other. Although I do lots of 5 mile runs, but never think of them as 8046.720 KMs. Seems all my training is in miles, all races in KMs.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blimey, no wonder 5 mile runs take so long if you run them as kms...I mean 8046 kms =5m!
Been a long day has it Bagpuss?!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
Blimey, no wonder 5 mile runs take so long if you run them as kms...I mean 8046 kms =5m!
Been a long day has it Bagpuss?!
ooooppppppssssss...Think I put the point in the wrong place. Looks even worse when I leave the 'converter' in the wrong measure like nautical miles or leagues!

Maybe I'm just fitter than I thought and will have to adjust my training notes, maybe my running shoes have been a lot further than I thought with my arithmatic!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
Of course it's easier to run on 4 paws than 2 feet!
Ah...but is it? can you work out the energy required to coordinate 4 paws at a race rate per mile/KM, and does one carry water or milk!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
Well I think you should investigate that and report back!
Water...easy, loads of puddles on route
Will do, as you can imagine, lots of scope for getting it completely wrong! Off to work now, I will do my calculations later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts