Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
I have also taken the plunge and entered the Plymouth half marathon! :confused: I have never ran before and signed up on the 5th Dec. Since then i have been out every other night .At first i could only run for about a minute before needing to walk!! I have also been round Burrator a few times. I couldn't manage the Brooks meet in January but hope to be there for the Feb one. I am still running/walking a yesterday i did the Saltram part of the course 6 miles in 1hour 25!!.Its hard work but i am enjoying it, i think!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Keep up the good work and see you at the Plymouth Half. its the Plymouth Hoe 10 next month (18 Feb). Why not come down to Brickfields to give us all a cheer - I'm going to need the encouragement.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear that you are aiming for a Half Marathon, just be careful not to over do the training, every other night sounds like a lot to me

All the best.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I agree with Granty - which training programme are you following firstimer - is it the novice plan on the Plymouth Half marathon website?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello everyone thanks for the replys.
As for the training plan yes it was the novices plan from the 1/2 marathon site, but at the moment i am just trying to get better at running. On the evening runs i have been doing 1 mile laps around my estate, running about halfand walking half. Tonight it was very cold and windy so i took an hour to do 4 laps. On my rest days i have been using a step and twist in doors for about 15mins and go swimming on a Sunday. The main problem i have is beening overweight, if i was 4 or 5 stones lighter i am sure i would find it easier, maybe all this training will help me with that problem as well!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Madfirstimer is putting me to shame! I've been "running", well ok, "plodding" for three weeks now, but haven't been out as much as you! Every other night! That's great. I have managed Burrator for the last three Sundays at 9am and can get all the way round without stopping now, albeit slowly! In between I manage a couple of laps of either Central or Devonport Park but its tough after a long day and domestic responsibilities! I've entered everyone in my office for the Plymouth Half so we all go along each Sunday, my dog and nine year old on his bike as well! Feel free to join us if you want some moral support and maybe you can give me some tips on moving my overweight backside a few extra nights a week! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least you can run all the way round burrator. I have been round a couple of times and still have to walk some of the way.
I also have a nine year old son who likes to follow( i wish) lead on his bike. He wants to enter the fun run on the day so maybe i should make him run aswell. Where do you meet on a Sunday? I may take you up on the offer of some company if i am feeling brave.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I think running every other day is way too much for a novice even if you are as thin as a rake its take about a year for your muscles to adapt to the repetitive high impact nature of running. Usually its recommended to train 3 or 4 times a week but you can cross train on other days. I train 3 times a week. I do my long slow run (LSR) on a Sunday and I run twice in the week (one is usually a club night) for about 30-45 mins. I'm currently up to 9 miles on my Sunday runs. I also do pilates, yoga and keep fit.

Don't worry about speed either you should run at a pace where you can comfortably hold a conversation.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't mean to curb your enthusiasm or be in the least bit discouraging (personally I think you've made a fantastic leap - beware it can become addictive) but I've been injured and it really sucks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advise. With the cold weather at the moment i dont need much encouragement to stay in. I think i am worried i have bitten off to much, but i do need a big challenge to stay motivated running definately does not come naturally to me.
Thanks again and i will look to ease on the training as the last thing i need is to get injured.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Firsttimer - you are more than welcome to join us on Sunday morning - there are always alot of people around with many different levels of fitness - one guy ran past me three times on Sunday morning, whilst I was on my "lap" of the reservoir!! Tee hee.... I'm just carrying on in my own little world, I'm doing the half marathon for charity and have been pledged £575 so far by lots of people who think their money is safe! I'm determined to get them to pay up!! We meet on Sunday morning at Burrator, if you want to come along, please feel free. I live in Stoke, not sure where you live, but I'd be happy to jolly you along if you can do the same for me. I sympathise with your wish of being four or five stone lighter - ME TOO!!! But hey.... everyone has to start somewhere! Heather

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Firstimer

I also registered for the Plymouth 1/2 marathon, on 12th Jan!! - a moment of madness possibly!!!!

I have also been training every other day, but have a treadmill at home, so no cold night runs for me!!! I have only been training since the begining of January and have 2 stone to lose!! - so I know how you feel!!

I have been on a salad for lunch and usually fish with plenty of veg in the evening and it appears to be doing the trick as I have lost 1/2 stone already!!!

I went for a run (jog) last Sunday from Chelson Meadow, along the cycle path to the back of Sainsburys, back along the Embakment Road, across Laira Bridge and back to the car, it was hard but worth doing, as there are some hills, but not ones that go on for ever!!!! - I also had to walk part of the way!!

Jo

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Theres quite a nastyhill just behind Sainsburys if I recall.......watch you don't burn out we want to be still running in our 70s after all.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but be careful about publishing your running routes ladies.....and gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
.Watch you don't burn out, we still want to be running in our 70s after all. Maybe I'm just paranoid but be careful about publishing your running routes ladies.....and gentlemen.
Well, I've made it into my 70's without burning out - and I've just sent one of my favourite routes for publication in 'Runner's World'!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Runningfox said:
Well, I've made it into my 70's without burning out - and I've just sent one of my favourite routes for publication in 'Runner's World'!
I was thinking of your Runningfox as I made that post. I want our new runners to make sensible sustainable changes to their lifestyles. Its really easy to throw yourselves into a new hobby and to feel discouraged after a few weeks especially if you try to do too much too soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi

That's a good point about not publishing running routes - will bear that in mind!!!! - I do have 2 male running partners, who will look out after me!!!!

Hopefully the novelty of running won't wear off, but I would like to be able to run when I am 70!! - was looking at last years times of the Plymouth 1/2 and it's amazing that people of 65+ can do it in an hour and 1/2, I would be grateful just to make it round!!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Is there anybody left in Plymouth who`s not running..........................:d

1 - 20 of 36 Posts