Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, whats up?

my names Jonny, Im 16 and I live in Rugby, near cov.

Thought I'd join up to get a few tips and pointers from some more experienced runners, and make a few friends along the way!

I enjoy just about anything to do with fitness...working out at the gym, running, biking,swimming, hill walking, rock climbing etc!

I recently signed up for my first half marathon, nottingham Sep 08, hoping for around 1:45 for my first attempt. My best mile time is 5.43, 3 mile 19.47 and 5 mile 33.02, however i havent managed to increase my distance too much above the 5 mile mark as of yet :(

Feel free to add me on msn and talk!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

If that's the Robin Hood races you're talking about then I did the marathon there in 2005, which was the 25th anniversary year. It's a great event

Good luck

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Fringe

Welcome to RF.

Your times are brilliant and good luck with the Nottingham half I did it last year very well organised, you will like it.

If you follow a 1/2 marathon schedule that will get you up to where you need to be, good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

TT :d

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
twinkle toes said:
Hi Fringe

Welcome to RF.

Your times are brilliant and good luck with the Nottingham half I did it last year very well organised, you will like it.

If you follow a 1/2 marathon schedule that will get you up to where you need to be, good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

TT :d
thanks!
I have started to follow a running programme, its a 24 week schedule, so i should be fine!
how long have you been running for?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy Fringe... I'm not too far away from you - over in Leamington/Warwick area. Your times are pretty impressive and I reckon you'll smash the 1:45 barrier with ease... if you're on a 24 week schedule building up to half marathon distance then you should be on for somewhere in the 1hr30mins mark going on your PB's - maybe even a little under that!

Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Fringe! said:
thanks!
I have started to follow a running programme, its a 24 week schedule, so i should be fine!
how long have you been running for?

Schedules definitely keep you in check.

I have been running for about 3 years, not very long.

:d

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
richardsimkiss said:
Howdy Fringe... I'm not too far away from you - over in Leamington/Warwick area. Your times are pretty impressive and I reckon you'll smash the 1:45 barrier with ease... if you're on a 24 week schedule building up to half marathon distance then you should be on for somewhere in the 1hr30mins mark going on your PB's - maybe even a little under that!

cool, thats nice to know!
and in regards to the times, thats what i thought, but i havent quite built up the stamina yet for a half marathon, and i expect my time to gradually slow to over the 7 minute mile mark as i build up the distance with my programme.

twinkle toes said:
Schedules definitely keep you in check.

I have been running for about 3 years, not very long.

:d
I started running at the beginning of 2007, and overweight, managed to loose a couple of stone and become quite fast over shortish distances but have lacked the structure to build up some serious mileage, so i hope it will help!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
richardsimkiss said:

Wow, I lived down in those parts too for a while. I did my PhD at Warwick (1999-2003) and lived on campus for 3 years. I miss the warm summers down there :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JBBury said:
Wow, I lived down in those parts too for a while. I did my PhD at Warwick (1999-2003) and lived on campus for 3 years. I miss the warm summers down there :(
warm?! where do you live now :d?:p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
He's Oop north in Scottyland. Warwick Uni is for the clever'uns... not like the Coventry Uni riff raff :p

You won't lose pace as you train for longer distances - of course you'll tend to run slower when you run longer, but with the extra mileage that the 24 week schedule will bring you should be fine for that sorta time :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ah that'd be why then!
and i hope so, if i can run a sub 1.35 on my first half marathon I'd be stoked!
but I dont want to get too far ahead of myself :p

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, if we're having a big "oooh, I used to live round there" group hug, I should add that I growed up in Warwickshire. A village not too far from Leam/Warwick.

The only exercise I did back then, though, apart from what I had to do at school, was cycling on those lovely country roads.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think 1:35:00 is a good conservative target... and it'd certainly be a fantastic time for you first half!

I usually find I end up setting a few time goals... it allows a bit better for things going right or wrong on the day... typically I'll set my main goal, the one I'm aiming for, then I set an 'ideal goal' like if everything went perfectly to plan and I exceeded my expectations, then usually a 'fall back target' like if something goes wrong, what's the slowest time that I'd still be happy with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts