Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there my names hayley 29 been running about a year now.
I enjoy when im running well dont always enjoy when i dont, but i do like getting out of the house for a break from my 2 girls.
Im doing my first 10k on the 24th of june and been training and hope to get a time of 45mins. Might be hard though the race is horndon on the hill and its not called that for nothing. I get abit unmotivated as i run on my own all the time, but maybe this forum will give me some motivation ill let you know how it goes hayley

·
Registered
180 Posts
welcome hayley your very ambitious choosing a 10k as your first race i'm sure you'll do great, ive done my first race today it was only 5k but i really enjoyed it Let us all know how you do on the 24th

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Welcome Hayley,
We'll do our best to keep you motivated but have you looked into joining a running club or into joining the womens runin network.

45 mins is a very respectable time for your first 10K - have you achieved these times in training? Whatever you time as its your first it will be a guaranteed Personal Best (PB) and you will have something to aim for next time.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iv done 6 miles in 46mins in training so im hoping to get a time of 45 in the race but its got a big hill. Im doing some hill training as well so ill try my best hayley

·
Registered
180 Posts
i was told to do some hill training to increase my stamina coz i was going to enter a 10k on 24th june near me but the way my legs feel after the 5k today i dont think i'll bother

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i think the hill training makes you push yourself to the limit sometimes which in turn helps increase stamina. All i do is run a mile to my hill the run up and down it a few times then run back. Iv found that when i run down the hill i dont use my arms so not to waste energy, and up iv found for me running up on the balls of my feet, using my calfs more has helped. On the day ill do my best, got alot family going to watch so im sure that will push me on.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Stotty - don't be a wimp (;-)) a little rest and you'll feel fine in a day or two and will be raring to go.

Hayley I'm sure you are going to be fine

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hayley, you'll definitely find the hill work you've done stands you in good stead. My first 10K was last May in Edinburgh, which is a tough hilly course. done it again last month, this time with some hill work under my belt and although I've done a lot of running since the first one, I'm the hillwork contributed greatly to my tome of 45:15, which was over 3 mins better than the year before. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah thanks im going out tommorow try some more up and down hills, might drag my hubby out on the bike egg me on abit

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
If you can do 5k in 21mins then 45mins for a 10k should be possible even with a hill.

To keep motivated and to get your times down find a friendly running club to join.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah thanks steve feeling good about the 10k at present. i do have a running club near me but with a police sergent husband on horrible shift pattern and 2 girls to look after i find it hard to be same place every week and i dont want to be awkward to the club, may still look into it thanks hayley

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I would if I were you. If it is a running club rather than an atletic club they really shouldn't mind if you can't make it every week....the club I'm Chairman of meets twice a week and I go for weeks without seeing some people.

I'd suspect that someone with your ability would be welcomed with open arms!! Don't fancy moving out Lowestoft way do you!!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the offer but not been in brightlingsea long from thurrock, your not that far from me anyway. Its a great place to run, walk out my front door run down to the prom along side the beachhuts looking out onto the sea its windy sometimes but must be good for you. Also know wheres really flat so all the ups and downs are good practice. Your near the sea to whats it like to run where you are ?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Thanks for the offer but not been in brightlingsea long from thurrock, your not that far from me anyway. Its a great place to run, walk out my front door run down to the prom along side the beachhuts looking out onto the sea its windy sometimes but must be good for you. Also know wheres really flat so all the ups and downs are good practice. Your near the sea to whats it like to run where you are ?
Like you I can run along the prom alonside beach huts....and it can be windy. Fairly flat round here but we do have a some small hills to train on. There's a good, hard 4.75m race here in September...The Scores. It involves running up/down 400+ steps....hard work but different. Fancy it?!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats something iv never thought of doing im only small 5'4 8tone dont know if ill have the leg power for that, but id be up for it. First ill see how my 10k goes in 2 weeks then ill let you know. Can you send me some kind of link for the race if you have one?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Thats something iv never thought of doing im only small 5'4 8tone dont know if ill have the leg power for that, but id be up for it. First ill see how my 10k goes in 2 weeks then ill let you know. Can you send me some kind of link for the race if you have one?
www.waveneyvalley.org is the website you need to look at.
No entry forms yet.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks steve do you think im built for the job though, you might have to give me a piggy back hehehe

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well there are all sorts of shapes, sizes and abilities that do it so I'm sure you could too! You just need to find somewhere with hills and steps to run up and down...in fact the hardest part of the race is Arnold's Bequest....a seemingly never ending, though not that long in reality, sharp climb with no steps and supporters at the top willing you on!!

Not sure about the piggy back but if my club does the same as we did last year( Lowestoft Road Runners) we'll have a beer/drinks table at the finish and I'll save one for you!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sound good partial to the odd drink as often as i can, keep me in touch about this race if thats o.k sounds like a good day hayley

1 - 20 of 42 Posts