Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just joined after a about 10 minutes lurking, I liked what I saw and have jumped (or ran) right in.

I'll apologise in advance if this has been asked a million times.

I am a 35 year old female who is curretly 11 stone 4lbs, who wants to lose weight and get fit. I am have just returned to the gym again in the last couple of weeks and do about an hour or so's workout, which consists of about of 45 cardio and 15 with the free weigths with 50+ sit ups thrown in.

I have never ran before (for any resonable distance) since school but would like to.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should start.

Should I start on the treadmill and move outside as the weather (hopefully) gets a bit warmer and how much should I do and what speed and for how long.

I am wary about doing to much to soon but I don't want to start off to slow either.

P.S. I need to get a good sports bra - any suggestions ladies??

Thanks

Littleminxie

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum!! :)

You've done the hardest bit and taken the first step... now it gets to be fun

How much weight do you want to lose? I would suggest that you stop using free weights for now because it will make it harder to lose weight.

The sit-ups are great... well done for that!

As for running, you could do a little on the tready in the gym if you want to. Personally I find it more enjoyable running outside.

At this stage, just run as much as your body wants to, and at the pace that feels comfortable. It is important to really listen to your body when you start running, especially if you haven't really done much before.

Don't put any constraints with "I must go this far" or "I must run at this pace" to start with, or you'll find it hard work and be less inclined to continue. The most important thing is to enjoy it and then you can build on it. After all, if you enjoy doing something it's easier to do more of it

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
oh yes... and as for sports bras, there are numerous types. I haven't got much to support :confused: so I wear sportjock bras, but there are also sports bras for larger ladies here... http://www.lessbounce.com/

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
welcome to the forum !!

I agree with trinity sound advice

can't help with the bra thing though it's not my area of expertise ,though i'm more than willing to learn:p ;) :d

signed

desperate of cheriton

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Littleminxie I have just started running as well so can't give you any expert advice but I am following the Bupa 5k training plan which I think is pretty good. It may be really easy for you as your basic level of fitness is probably much higher than mine but its a good place to start out I think. I am actually experiencing knee pain but thats probably due to the fact that I suffered from a long term illness so haven't really done any exercise at all for about 15 years. Having said that, if you are going to start running, make sure you are wearing proper running trainers that are designed for your foot type because that is a common cause of problems. Prevention is so much nicer than having to cure it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Trinity

I want to get down to about 8-8 1/2 stone, which doesnt sound like a lot but I'm just (by a smidgen) 5ft tall and I have a small frame.

Thanks for the advice about the free weights, I will lay off them while I am losing the weight.

Littleminxie

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Taurencloud

Thanks for letting me know about the Bupa 5km training plan.

I have printed it off and I will start following it shortly. It looks like just what I need, being a totally novice runner.

Littleminxie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts