Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Glad your enjoying it.

There are a few on here from your neck of the woods.

Hows your running going at the moment ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again, I have been running for almost a year now, Im sorry, but im going to let you all down now, I only have the confidence to run on the treadmill. I started running to help me lose weight, I cant for some reason make the transition from treadmill to the great outdoors

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi there, You say you don't feel confident enough to run outdoors,an answer to this predicament may be in front of you in the gym.

Do you go to the gym with anybody else ?

Would they be willing to accompany you on a SHORT run ,because i'm sure that once you make the first small steps and your self confidence grows you'll begin to realise how pleasurable varied and interesting it is to run outdoors.

Please remember that we were all a bit self conscious when we started!

there may even be someone on tis forum who lives near you who would be prepared to help.

take care and hope to see you on the road sometime soon!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hiya and welcome Srhfan!

I went through the same yucky transition a few years back, I started off running on the treadmill at the gym and I got to the stage where I could run on it for 1 - 1 .15 hour comfortably without stopping or walking - so I definately fit! And I decided that it was about I should really get outside for a change of scenery, and I expected it to be harder and me not to be able to go so far, but I was shocked at just how hard I found it! First few times I went out I barely managed 5 minutes none stop...literally got to the end of my road and I had to stop for a rest/walk! I must admit I was completely demoralised....and I didnt try again for ages!

Must be said I think for me it was a case of using my mind and will power - when I was on a treadmill when you start to feel a bit tired you keep going, and you keep going at the same pace, or else you end of falling off and making an idiot of yourself!!! When your outside as soon as you start to feel a little bit tired/achey/hot you have to keep yourself moving at the same pace/moving at all...and that can be quite hard, especially if your not entirely convinced you can!

Anyho i agree with Cheriton's suggestion of running with someone!! Thats pretty much what helped me, I started moaning so much about my inability to run outside, that my boyfriend at the time started dragging me out with him! He was a cyclist, and did quite a bit of running too, so he was fit - and I am somewhat competitive by nature!! And I think thats what got me through those first few runs - I was not going to be beaten by him so I kept running and I kept running at a reasonable pace to keep up with him!!

I only had to do it a few times, once I had convinced myself that I was more than capable of running outside there was no stopping me!! So see if you can convince a friend just to go with you a few times, Im sure youll find the urge to keep up with someone will help keep you going!!! Im quite sure a lot of it is all in the mind...

Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Take notice of Cheriton and Kathryn.

Get yourself out there srhfan.............................:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
welcome to the forum, and get outside once you have you won't look back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for all your words of encouragement, I just need to get out there and do it, I will try and not to worry about what other people are thinking.

My brother in Law has asked me if I wanted him to run with him, but he is a staff sgt in the cadets and he is a lot fitter than me (he was going to do the London Marathon this year but pulled out through injury), I also dont want him treating me like one of his cadets.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi shrfan.does your brother in law Know about your fear of running outside?

If he doesn't try to explain how and more importantly why you feel self conscious to him,
or even your sister who can speak with him to go a bit easier on you !

Why are you troubled by what people think who you've never met before, aren't likely to meet and probably never will meet.

Do the people in the gym pass comment? or do they accept the fact that your there to try to get fit maybe lose a little weight as well as being good company and gaining new friends.

It's clear that you would love to run outside if you could get over the psycological barrier

Your brother in law is giving you that oppurtunity

would it be possible to choose a quieter time of day to do your first couple of runs when there aren't so many people about . if your brother in law is injured he isn't going to want to be running too hard either.

all said and done don't beat youself up over this issue !!

Try to think of these old adages "i can i will i must" and "there are no problems only solutions !"

take it easy shrfan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts