Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just found this site through google, and I'm very pleased I have - looks like there is loads of fantastic advise and motivation on this site! :d

Bit of background info on me, I'm 29 (30 in June :( ) and am married with 2 girls, 4 & 2. My husband is a keen runner (and so natural at it, I hate him!) and is doing a 1/2 marathon in Stratford Upon Avon in April. I normally do aerobics/boxacise/or any other class at the gym typically 3 times a week, but after Xmas I decided I would try running. At the moment I have only been on the treadmil but have to say, am getting addicted!

I'm running on average 3 - 4 times a week and covering between 6 - 9 k. I'm pleased with myself and love the feeling I get after I have finished a run. Today I ran for 50 mins with 10 mins cool down. I have learnt to slow my pace to 8.8 k per hour, I used to run at 9.3 but find I can cover a better distance and enjoy the run more.

Sorry I'm rambling now aren't I :embarrassed:

I can't ever imagine being able to run a marathon :eek: but hope that one day soon I can cover 10k quite comfortably. I am soon going to brave an outdoor run!

I know I should ditch the scales but I have put on 5lbs since I have started, which has annoyed me somewhat but I'm guessing this could be muscle? Anyway, I am really enjoying it and intend to continue.

Could you please tell me whether you think I should stick to 2 shorter runs per week and aim for a longer one, or how to increase what I am doing to perhaps acheive a 10k soon?

thanks

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Fishgreen,

Welcome to the forum, lost of good tips and advice lurk inside !!

The golden rule with regards to increasing mileage is not to increase the weekly overall mileage by more than 10%, this might be 2 longer runs or 3 shorter runs, depends on you really.

Personally I started with lots of small runs and then gradually dropped them and increased one to become the 'long one'

Hope it goes well

G.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Fishgreen.

Just read your first post.

Rambling...............

Am getting addicted....................

Slowed from 8.8km/h to 9.3km/h....(worrying Detail)....

I can't ever imagine being able to run a marathon ................

I am really enjoying it and intend to continue.............

You will be a perfect member......WELCOME..................:d

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Granty!

This week its half term so its harder for me to get to the gym. Today I have done 8.5k which felt fine. I will run again on Friday and see how I go. Do you reckon its actually better to increase the time, i.e. by another 5 mins then worry about the distance as such? I'm really surprise as at the end I can hold a full conversation, I'm not out of breath. I just look like I'm about to drop down dead!! :embarrassed: (I go so red!) plus I sweat so much. This is odd as I never used to sweat at all hardly! (apparently this means you are getting fitter according to one of the instructors at the gym??? altho my husbands likes to disagree with that!)

thanks for your advise. I can't wait to start running outside, especially on days like these!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave!

Was worried for a moment, thought you were going to tell me off! ;)

Think I am going to get addicted to this site too! lots of great advise and nice members from what I can see.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Ooooooooooooh, I'm now distantly cyber-linked to someone else on the forum! lol. I'll be doing the Shakespeare 1/2 Marathon in Stratford Fishgreen, send my wishes of luck to your bloke.

The forum really is a friendly place that I'm sure you'll love! You're running seems to be going quite well, if you were willing to put the effort in I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be running the Half Marathon with your husband :p (okay maybe not at his pace, but you'd see him at the start and finish ;) )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
richardsimkiss - 1/2 marathon in April blimey I've nearly fallen off my chair! :eek:

My husband seems to think that we will be running the London marathon together next year, I however have other ideas ;) like watching from the sideliens with my picnic and bottle of champagne like we did 3 years ago when I watched my sister. The atmosphere was fantastic.....we were so tired tho...we had to walk blimmin miles just trying to be her supportive fans!!!! I honestly think I was more tired then her at the end of it all!!!

Good luck with your half marathon too...will this be your first?

I have never run outside :embarrassed: (well apart from the train or when it starts to rain, etc) and am actually quite scared! Everyone likes to tell me how its "so much harder than running on a treadmill" - have to say this puts me off a bit..but I am determined to give it a go!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Fishgreen said:
plus I sweat so much. This is odd as I never used to sweat at all hardly! (apparently this means you are getting fitter according to one of the instructors at the gym???

Yeah, I noticed that one too! Anyway, I'd say so long as you're not increasing either time/distance or intensity by anything tooooo rediculous, you should just do whatever you want to, and whatever works for you! If something starts going awry, then change it! Trial and error is always the way to go, seeing as everyone seems to be so different. No two runners will agree on a course of training exactly.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Fishgreen

Welcome to RF.

Get outside soon you will be a changed woman when you do, it is a bit harder running outside than on a consistant treadmill, but I don't think it is anything to be put off by, I personally wouldn't have it any other way.

If you live in a relativley flat area then the treadmill is good for hill work etc and keeping your pace consistant.

so DO IT DO IT go run in the fresh air.

Good luck with your training you will be chasing down your better half before you know it.

TT

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
D'oh! I'd written a full reply when my manager showed up outta nowhere - had to quickly close the window before he noticed what I was doing, probably wasn;t a good thing that I was also looking at the company 'leavers policy'. :eek:

Fishgreen, don't listen to everyone saying that running outside is harder! It's most certainly not in my opinion, the only thing that makes treadmill running easier is that it forces you to keep going (you stop, you fall off), once you start running outside you'll soon get to grips with it and I can assure you, you won't be rushing back to the treadmill in a hurry!

This year will be my third Shakespeare Half Marathon, I started running at the end of November 2005, overweight and unable to run my 2 mile circuit in one go. 5 Months later, I ran the 2006 Shakespeare 1/2 Marathon - I'm no superman so there's no reason why you couldn't manage it if you wanted to! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi everyone

Thanks for your messages.

I haven't yet braved the outside run, but have managed 3 runs this week and I even broke my personal best for my 5k today! :d i have done 21k this week, which to me sounds impressive!!! :embarrassed: I'm really enjoying it.

Next week will be ruled out tho as my eldest daughter has come down with Chicken Pox today :mad: so no school for her!

Still, I may try to get out to the gym in the evenings. This running business is seriously addictive you know!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Fishgreen and Welcome

I am a new runner (literally weeks) I have walked for quite while and more recently ran on the treadmill at the gym, which I liked. But in both cases the majority of the time I prefer to be outside.

When I started running outside recently I couldn't believe how much more enjoyable it was - I came home and I was buzzing. Yeah its colder but I only felt it for the first few minutes then I was warm (and sweating like navvy) if you'll pardon the expression.

Good luck with your running (someday soon you will give your other half some stiff competition I'm sure)

The Minx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts