Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally went this week and bought a 'wicking' top from my local running shop. ( Start Fitness in Durham - decent shop.)
I've been for a run this morning, and on my return realised I have 'jogger's nipple', which sounds funny, but they actually feel like someone has been using sandpaper on them!:eek:

Has anyone else had this problem?
I'm thinking that maybe I will have to accept the fact that I will always have to stick with good old fashioned cotton?:(

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
How tight is your top ?

This is quite a common problem and there was a recent thread about it but i can't remember where

Ihave only suffered from it once and that was i think too tight a running vest

I always wear a wicking top and have never suffered in it just lucky i guess

I think that the remedy is looser fitting tops cream like women use when breastfeeding to soothe and heal the nips or even the one for nappy rash sudocreme ,metanium or similar is good,

Failing that plasters over the nipples quite painful to remove if you've got a lot of hair
or as a final option cut two holes for your nipples topoke through for no rubbing at all.

The last point clearly not recommended fro any ladies reading this post .

unless you really want to of course!!:p ;) :d :embarrassed:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
that's great cheriton very funny :d

bigjonny

use vaseline on the intended area or buy bravesoldier or bodyglide this will stop chaffing of any kind, vaseline is your cheaper option if it works for you.

TT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, you three!
I will definitely try cream or vaseline.;)
The top I bought was Adidas, in an extra large, which although not a tight fit, just sort of 'fits well'. I don't think there are many wicking tops out there that come any larger?

I will have to work at this problem though, as the wife will not be happy if I don't get a lot of wear out of my new purchase! After all, I deducted the cost out of this weeks housekeeping bill!:p

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
the biggest mistake was letting her know B J

Ok big fella sore nips are seriously painful i'm sure it's a much worse pain than childbirth

:p ;) :d what do you think ladies?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I think childbirth pain is over-rated.... :eek:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I thought that the idea of thermal/"wicking" clothing was that it is supposed to be close-fitting: so that as much of the material is in contact with the skin as possible. Any loose material will not be able to "wick", will it?

There used to be a product called "Nip Guard" (no, seriously), which were small adhesive plasters used on the area of the anatomy in question.
Personally, I use small pieces of adhesive medical gauze. I usually leave them on until they come off of their own accord (no need for painful removal after every run!) , then just replace them.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i use tape too..... most lately padded physio tape from boots.

i did see some nip gaurds in pete blands in kendal the other week (and yes, it IS a sports shop!)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
I thought that the idea of thermal/"wicking" clothing was that it is supposed to be close-fitting: so that as much of the material is in contact with the skin as possible. Any loose material will not be able to "wick", will it?

There used to be a product called "Nip Guard" (no, seriously), which were small adhesive plasters used on the area of the anatomy in question.
Personally, I use small pieces of adhesive medical gauze. I usually leave them on until they come off of their own accord (no need for painful removal after every run!) , then just replace them.
To clarify the above points, no pun intended.

A thermal top should be worn close fitting.

A wicking running top should be reasonably fitted but not necessarily figure hugging and likewise they shouldn't flap about .

It's a fine balance between well fitted and slightly baggy

The looser the fit the cooler the wicking top will be this is due to convection.

I hope this clarifies things i would say however that like everything what works for one person isn't going to necessarily work for another;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'll tell you what works for me.

Vaseline on the nipples!!:d

Gave it a try this morning, and felt I should report everything was fine!
- Don't think I could ever be into that BDSM!:embarrassed:

Thanks once again for the advice - problem resolved!:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
glad we could be of assistance ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've read this thread while looking for advice for the race I have today (Reading half). This is only my second half marathon and I don't tend to suffer with this problem on my longer 10 mile training runs, but I made them bleed during the first race, so I'm anxious to avoid that again.

Plasters / Vaseline......?

I've opted for plasters based on the fact that I'm completely bald on my chest and that removing the plasters after won't be on the pain threshold of giving birth. (And yes, I do know all about it! I had to hold her hand and put up with all the filthy language......... 4 times!!
)

A

·
0 Posts
I only get it on very long runs when it's raining and I'm soaked through to the skin. It doesn't matter what I'm wearing (although it's worse with heavy cotton), the best way of preventing it if you anticipate it happening is vaseline. There are other over priced solutions on the market but I find that these are quite unnecessary.

Andrew. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah, elastoplast tape is the stuff you need, unless you have hairy nips, in which case it'll hurt when taking the tape off!

·
Registered
835 Posts
team-lewis.co.uk said:
yeah, elastoplast tape is the stuff you need, unless you have hairy nips, in which case it'll hurt when taking the tape off!
Not when you're allergic to elastoplast! I have to use waterproof plasters (which incidently, worked very well today)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I started to get joggers nipple about 8 miles into a marathon, so I improvised by shoving a sponge up my top. Looked stupid but it worked really well. If you want to see real pain, have a look at poor sod who finished in 4.52.20 on this video. (you can fast forward to the right spot by dragging the grey circle across)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RTZZ8ieeM

·
Registered
835 Posts
Slowsteve said:
I started to get joggers nipple about 8 miles into a marathon, so I improvised by shoving a sponge up my top. Looked stupid but it worked really well. If you want to see real pain, have a look at poor sod who finished in 4.52.20 on this video. (you can fast forward to the right spot by dragging the grey circle across)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RTZZ8ieeM
Bloody 'ell! (Literally)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts