Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a runner now for 4 or 5 years and before that i was a racing cyclist for 20 years so have always kept fit.
Then just over a year ago i fell off a ladder at work and my left left leg took all my weight resulting in the worst injury i think anyone can have.I would have rather have broken my leg, at least it would av been better in 6 weeks or so.
I had ruptured my anterior acruciate ligament (stablizes your knee and stops it twisting),a very serious knee injury usaully suffured by football and rugby players.
My latteral acruciate ligament was damaged too so i had to wear a brace on my leg to stop it collapsing,very nasty.:(
Finally got the op last Feb by one of the best surgens(mr Bolan at Bradford RI) in the country who does ACL reconstruction privately on many of the top footballers,and i got him on NHS.
They put me to sleep and then using key hole surgey,he took part of my knee cap tendon,stripped it down and screwed it into place inside my knee making a new ligament which in time would graft onto the bone as the screws dissolve.(Amazing).
After the op the surgen told me that my knee joint was in very good condition as he had checked it while operating.That was good to hear as i'd been an athlete all my adult life.
Well within 48 hrs i was walking without crutches,even though i was in a little pain and my knee was like a baloon.:eek:
2 weeks after the op i was riding my bike again.Then i started physio for 2 month doing mainly balancing exercises as the ACL is designed to help you balance.
Then by about June i started doing very jentle jogging for only 10 mins at time.
Now my knee is 99% better i am back to normal running even though my left leg has wasted away a little through inactivity and the muscles around my knee still feel weak and stiff after a run but it continues to improve.Could be another 6 months before my leg is back to the way it was before falling off that b****d ladder.Meanwhile my solicitor has put in a claim for compo to my very x employers.
Has anyone else suffered a similar injury?

·
Registered
151 Posts
serious injury there fastrider, glad to see you are going to make a complete recovery. 20 years ago that would have been your hobbies over!! moderm medicine is as you say amazing.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Ouch!
As has been said modern medical techniques are amazing.....you were lucky with the NHS though in terms of the medic you saw but I note you still had a long wait for the op.
Hope you are soon up to full fitness and claim goes ok. On latter point PM me if you would like to discuss further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My brother's just had this op after falling down some stairs as a doorman throwing out a lout. Walking about again after a month albeit carefully, and overall he is feeling quite upbeat, although it will be another 6-12 months before he is out biking and kayaking again. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts