Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am just looking for some advice in how to get under 40 minutes for a 10km run. I started running in march to lose some weight and found i enjoyed it, i have since done 3 10km's and a half marathon. I did the seaport 10km yesterday and knocked 5 mins off my time since april. I want to see how quick i can get for next year and therefore would like to know what people think is the best method to get quicker, join a running club or increase my own training?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
First and foremost, an increase in performance usually comes as an increase in training load... so that'd be the best place to start. However I would suggest that by joining a club, it will become a lot easier to implement the increase in training load and maintain motivation :)

What does your current training schedule look like? and what is your current 10k time?

I'm sure the collective thoughts of runnersforum can help you reach your goals ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My training schedule tends to vary a lot, i have been doing around 30km and some gym work over the last 2 weeks to train for the southport 10km which I ran 40:13. My first 10km was in dronfield in april and i ran 44:44 but i play a lot of cricket over the summer which made it difficult to fit running in.

I am planning on increasing my schedule, does this need to be done gradually? I dont particularly suffer from injuries which has helped to get my time down near 40 mins but i think i might have to take training a bit more seriously to keep improving?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
The rule of thumb for increasing mileage is generally percieved as being 10% per week, though some people can get away with a more rapid increase, some sadly struggle to avoid injury by increasing 10% per week - but yes, try and keep the increase gradual.

If you've run 40:13 for a 10k, then a sub 40min won't be a problem at all - a 13second difference could be made up/lost by something as minor as how far ahead the next competitor was, when you last got overtaken, or even when you last went to the loo.

The return from training is quite a fair one, the more time/effort you put in, the more you get out - how far you want to take things is entirely up to you! Some people will run so they can justify a few pints and a takeaway at the weekend, some will run to see how far they can go and try to find their running limit!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Joining a club is a fantastic way to improve, i used to jog on my own but got lazy. When i joined a club it gave me motivation to turn up, and once your there you always put the effort in, and now i've got to know people a bit i've set my sights on who i should be keeping up with!

A bit of motivation and consistent training should easily see you break 40 minutes :) good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts