Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just picked up my new orthotics - been suffering with ITBS and a few other 'things'. I haven't run in them yet as I've been advised to spend a couple of weeks getting used to them and I'm still waiting for some of my aches and pains to settle down.

However they weren't as uncomfortable as I was expecting. What can I expect? Will my pains magically disappear - my pod did warn me that there was no guarantees and that I may experience some new aches in my shins, big toe etc as I'm getting used to them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been wearing orthotics for the past four years and it took about three weeks for me to adjust into them and I never found that there was any pain in adjusting, only it felt slightly different.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Orthotics

I have worn orthotics for five years, i wore them for i hour the first day 2 hours then 3, 4 ,5 ,6 ,7 ,8, this was over a 10 day period i had 2 remedial sports massage treatments then started with a 15 min jog and increased it by 5 mins each time for 10 days when i reached 50 mins running without any side effects i know my body had accepted the orthotics. There is a chance you might feel muscles elswhere feeling different dont be alarmed at this hope this helps

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find them really comfortable to wear but I've still got some aches from my last ITB flare up. Although I do feel as though the pain is less when I wear them and move around - just worried that I'm so desperate to get better.....I might be imagining it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
orthotics

Don't worry about the ITB it will get better. massage the Albmaleaf gel into your legs all over 2 - 3 times a day spending 10 mins altogether then after you have massaged then go through your sretching programme do not stretch to the maximum just to a point of when you feel the stretch do it once on the groups of muscles you are concentrating on. If there is a sauna or a steam bath near by try and visit it once or twice a week and try to fit a relaxing swim at least once a week. I spent 7 years Running for Kendal ac & representing Cumbria on the roads and country and Saunas regular BALANCED WARM UPS PRE & POST STRETCHING PROGRAMMES & SWIMMING KEPT ME INJURY FREE. I Guarantee you will get better and be able to run just Dont get to worried if you get slight niggles thats part of running

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I wore orthoses for years and then realised that the problem I had could not be cured by them.
For some they are a miracle cure. For others a total waste of money!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice Dave. The remedial massages you had were they quite deep? I had a massage last week and whilst it eased out some tight spots I was hoping for something a little deeper - my ITBs particularly the left one are still tight. I can really feel it when I stretch and my kees are a bit sore.

Steepler - what was wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep mine were expensive and have done bugger all for me even though they were recommended for the flat arches in my feet. I can barely run a mile before my knee begins to ache. Some people believe in orthotics some don't, there are top runners with flatish feet and dont wear any because thats the way they believe their feet are meant to be and remain injury free. Having said that they are a bargain for anyone who's injuries the orthotics have cured.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Nick - it was aimed at all of you. Well those that wear their orthotics. When you wear flip flops you do you notice any aches and pains? Orthaheel do special flip flops - I know when I wear my reefs my legs ache.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to Ireland in a couple of weeks and we will probably do some walking. Was considering popping them into my walking boots.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok my heel has been slipping a bit in my shoes and my right ankle was a bit sore on the outside. I relaced my shoes and put loops in for a more secure fit and that seemed to stop the pain - I've actually had to buy longer laces.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just started wearing some last week. Wear them all day now and so far no strange aches and pains. Saw the pod last night and he said start jogging this weekend and to just run through any slight aches/pains as long as they're not severe as it wll just be readjustment pains. I have/had achilles trouble and it seems to be getting a lot better so, touch wood, it'll be ok.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I stopped wearing mine in my everyday shoes as I was getting ankle pains and I wanted to rule out if it was the orthotics. Mine have been designed to work with the stability features of my Brooks Adrenaline but other than that they seem to be working fine - I've been taking it really slow by run/walking currently up to 10 mins running and been covering distances of about 3 miles without any pains. Next time I go out I might try running for 15 mins.

NB I'm not covering 3 miles in 10 mins I'm not exactly speedy - I've been taking regualr 2 min walk breaks and gradually increasing the amount of time I spend running. I had a session with sports massage therapist and he said my muscles weren't any tighter than any other regular runner and he recommended regular massge at 4-6 week intervals. It was like music to my ears.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Orhotic wearers

Dear Steady edwina you are on the right tracks any transition from no orthotics to orthotics will have an effect on the body. Regular sports massage will eventualy with the right kind of manipulation allow the problem areas to feel less fight and will eleviate pain stick with it and persevere with wearing them in your every day shoes if you can along with the massage you will reap the benefits

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Karen. I went for a 4 mile run today - 15r/2w no ITB pains but feel really tired. I'm hoping to do the Plymouth HM next year but I gues its not like I'm going to have to go out and run it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts