Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would be the first to post in the Scotland section :) Have we any Scottish runners on here? Introduce yourselves now!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi msfenetre :)
I am not Scottish but have lived in Scotland before and I'm about to go back.
Whereabouts in Scotland are you from?
I used to stay on the isles and in St Andrews.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not Scottish either but I'm currently living in Edinburgh. Can you recommend any good races up here in Scotland?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Not far from you, there are some great races in Fife.
Fife AC usually have a good calendar and Forum (mostly covering local events, not like this one that covers many different topics) - www.fifeac.co.uk

From May to September you can also race in the Highland Games - check the calendar here: http://www.albagames.co.uk/

:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Unlike you two sasanachs, I am born and bred Jock :p

The best place for seeing a race calendar is on the Scottish Athletics website, www.scottishathletics.org.uk

There are a couple of good races coming up over the next few weekends.

This Sunday (5/3) the BUPA sponsored Lasswade 10. - A tough and challenging start to the season, don;t expect a PB.
Then next Saturday (11/3) the Fife AC Cupar 5 mile road race - flat, fast and popular race.
Both of which I am running.

During the summer there are the midweek meadows series sponsored I think by Run and Become. The races vary from 1 2 and 3 miles, and usually attract from the elite to the beginner. Good speed sessions.

During the summer months you can race every weekend and during the week if you wanted to in the central belt of scotland.

There are also plenty hill races if you are into that, look up the carnethy website www.carnethy.com or the scottish hill runners website www.shr.uk.com

I think that should keep you going for now!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
:embarrassed: I am humbled :d

·
Registered
2 Posts
born,bred,living and loving Scotland

Did anyone on this forum run the Edinburgh Forthside Half Marathon on Sunday?
This was my first " big event ", and I thought it was a complete shambles.
Is there anyone else out there wanting to vent their spleen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Edinburgh

John By all accounts this was a shambles. there is an apology on the runnersworld site. They seem genuinely contrite. Don't let this put you off. Most events are very well run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never again in Edinburgh!

Forever in my memory will be the announcement, as I approached the tape, sprinting like a bat out of, well not quite hell, and not quite like a bat....but you get the picture!
" slow down as you approach the finishing line, folks, then you can be funnelled through "
Never in the history of athletics, I'll bet, has an announcement been made like this.
It has put me off running another race in Edinburgh...............but back to Stornoway I'll be in May for another Half Marathon which was my first ever last year. You don't have to slow down, you get a goody ( Co-op ) bag with more than leaflets inside, and the hospitality is superb.
Anyone else going?

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
not quite scottish...not yet

I live in Edinburgh although not born and bred. and, yes, the Edinburgh Forthside Half was a shambles. But, funnily enough, I expected even more chaos.
And I agree that the FIFE AC races are very good, they tend to have really good post race food.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah im from East Lothian in scotland. I haven't took part in any races as of yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm an Edinburgh runner, but favour the hills. Pentlands are my adopted home with some serious training there so I'm ready for the Highland Cross in June.
Sometimes (2x month) run up Arthurs Seat but hardly ever see other runners on the top.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Never did the Stornoway half but ran the Harris half twice... Be afraid... Be VERY afraid :eek: :p
That's as tough as a "normal" road race gets!

Info at www.srac.org.uk

·
Registered
143 Posts
good spot, grant! Don't think he's much of a runner, but he would certainly be steamlined with his remarkable hooter!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts