Runners Forum banner

Any Scottish Runners?

8K views 60 replies 27 participants last post by  Altna 
#1 ·
Just thought I would be the first to post in the Scotland section :) Have we any Scottish runners on here? Introduce yourselves now!

#2 ·
Hi msfenetre :)
I am not Scottish but have lived in Scotland before and I'm about to go back.
Whereabouts in Scotland are you from?
I used to stay on the isles and in St Andrews.

#4 ·
Not far from you, there are some great races in Fife.
Fife AC usually have a good calendar and Forum (mostly covering local events, not like this one that covers many different topics) - www.fifeac.co.uk

From May to September you can also race in the Highland Games - check the calendar here: http://www.albagames.co.uk/

:)

#5 · (Edited)
Unlike you two sasanachs, I am born and bred Jock :p

The best place for seeing a race calendar is on the Scottish Athletics website, www.scottishathletics.org.uk

There are a couple of good races coming up over the next few weekends.

This Sunday (5/3) the BUPA sponsored Lasswade 10. - A tough and challenging start to the season, don;t expect a PB.
Then next Saturday (11/3) the Fife AC Cupar 5 mile road race - flat, fast and popular race.
Both of which I am running.

During the summer there are the midweek meadows series sponsored I think by Run and Become. The races vary from 1 2 and 3 miles, and usually attract from the elite to the beginner. Good speed sessions.

During the summer months you can race every weekend and during the week if you wanted to in the central belt of scotland.

There are also plenty hill races if you are into that, look up the carnethy website www.carnethy.com or the scottish hill runners website www.shr.uk.com

I think that should keep you going for now!

#10 ·
Never again in Edinburgh!

Forever in my memory will be the announcement, as I approached the tape, sprinting like a bat out of, well not quite hell, and not quite like a bat....but you get the picture!
" slow down as you approach the finishing line, folks, then you can be funnelled through "
Never in the history of athletics, I'll bet, has an announcement been made like this.
It has put me off running another race in Edinburgh...............but back to Stornoway I'll be in May for another Half Marathon which was my first ever last year. You don't have to slow down, you get a goody ( Co-op ) bag with more than leaflets inside, and the hospitality is superb.
Anyone else going?

John

#21 ·
howday,
I'm scottish, based in edinburgh. Usually run the great scottish and north runs and have done the edinburgh marathon once. This year i took the plunge and ran the Sandbaggers Gobi Challenge. The race was ace!! 130 over 7 days across the Gobi desert in Mongolia. I'm not a great runner but managed to finish through a combination of running slowly and walking. it's a scottish organised run, very personal and an immense challenge.
I'm thinking of heading back next year (or maybe 2008) if annyone fancies forming a team or training together.

Will be at the great scottish run this sunday so look out for me (i'm the one in the orange t-shirt :mad:))
lol
pan

#26 ·
I am not Scottish but have lived in Edinburgh for 5 years now. Usually run along the shore at Leith to Crammond, but sometimes run around Arthur's seat at weekends. Does anybody know of any good running clubs in Edinburgh. I'm sick of running on my own all the time and would like to meet fellow travellers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.