Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean is there anyone that start to run with past performance after recovery of injury Chondromalasi patella..I have the impression that after that injury nothing can be as good as how it is before the injury..so..

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have had numerous problems with my knee and that was one of the diagnosis, from what I gather its a very loose term. I still have the odd twinge and can have the knee give out if I twist it slightly or put weight on it and its not in the correct position. Upper leg exercise, glucosamine and very carefull running has seen me complete a half. My time wasnt great but I did the distance and can now do 11k with ease (well not quite with ease but thats not down to the knee). If you do have that be very carefull, you may never get back to your full potential but if you try you can do some very serious damage depending whats gone on inside the knee joint. Take things easy, dont always rely on a brace as that can weaken some of the muscles but use one if you have trouble putting weight on the leg or going up and down stairs. I use this one if things get bad.

http://www.muellersportsmed.com/hingedwraparoundkneebrace.htm

I then move onto a neoprene brace to start the running again when things calm down. When i feel ready i go without so i dont become reliant on it. Only you will know how things are going but dont push too hard. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sorry but had to add that I got my injury before running and then again during. However it hasnt held me back. I dont know if I could do better but I dont think so. Its my lungs and legs that hold me back at the moment and not my knee. So in some ways im running better than I ever had even with the knee.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chondramalacia Patella is a really loose term, generally used to describe pain around the front of the knee. A true diagnosis of CMP can only be made by arthroscope when the back of the patella has been seen. Other terms that may describe the condition are anterior knee pain and runners knee.
The short answer to your question is yes it is possible to treat and manage anterior knee pain with physio and exercises and to get back to full running and sport.
What tends to happen with anterior knee pain is that there is a muscle imbalance. Put very simply the quadriceps muscle (at the front of the thigh) is made up of several different parts of muscle, it all joins to the patella. You can envisage that if one part of the quads (usually the outside) is stronger than another when the knee bends and straightens the patella doesn't run smoothly in its groove on the femur (thigh bone)
Exercises concentrating on bringing the muscle back into balance, commonly by strengthening the inside of the quads and gluet med (part of the bum muscle) and stretching any tight structures (often the calf, hamstrings and illio tibial band ( the outside of the thigh) will usually help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I have gone to doctor and he examined my leg and realized that voice is coming from kneecap...The voice is "cit cit"...He buckle my leg and told there is no problem menuscus..the problem is in the kneecap..The cartilage has small scratches...And other than kneecap my muscles are perfect..

Then he take the radioactive film of my kneecap..He found that th cavity is excellent in the kneecap..He adviced me to do the exercise of daily making the leg straight when sitting for 1 minute and do it 40 times..He then addd it is difficult to do that and he graphically convinced me that when I make that movement with 5 kg with my leg it means that the muscle is strong enough to run..

He adviced me to start with swimming than with bicycle and slow down and never set a Target..He adviced me slowly I can begin sport but it shall be very light...
I explained him I get rid of stress sith that he adviced me to do yoga...

Theneafter I give up running..I only walked but I walk a bit long..

Now when walking I have the same problem now I dont walk to get rid of problem..I get glucosamine hcl and chondroitin sulfate...I know that it is not scientifically proven that it works..but I still take it daily...

My humble advice to everybody..Never force your body with targets..If not you become like me....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts