Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meg was originally a body builder but had to give up in his early 20s due to dangerously high BP, he had to be put on medication for it, and has taken it since.
They have advised him to lose weight etc, (he was originally 14 and half stone but not fat, this was upto about 03 months ago. He has lost 02 stone by running (and stopped taking his meds thinking he felt fine) on Tuesday he did another 14 mile run and felt absolutely fine, it was during the day and hot too, but he still was fine. Anywya he went for a routine BP check today and mentioned that he is doing this half marathon, and they have strongly recommended he doesnt do the run saying it is dangerous, his BP is still dangerously high, he told them he ahd lost 02 stone, and also that he ahd already done over the mileage he needs to complete the race, but she still strongly advises he doesnt do the run, she says on the outside he may feel fine but he deosnt see the damage he coudl be causing internally (heart) . we went straight from there to the chemist and got him his 03 lots of meds, but he is still adamant he is doing the race, as he feels fine. I just wondered if anyone else suffers with high BP and how they get along please? Sorry to be a worry wart again.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Who told him not to run the nurse or the GP? GPs can sometimes be very conservative - if it was me I would get a second opinion from maybe someone with a sports interest.

Could it be that is BP is up because he's stopped taking his meds? He doesn't push himself too hard does he - he pays attention to his bodies limits?

Good luck Dawn I hope Meg manages to work this out so he can keep running - he's trained so hard I understand why he doesn't want to give up but his health has too come first.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Edwina,
His BP was even up when he was taking his meds when he used to go to hospital for his 06 monthly checks they used to say oh its still up cos you need to loose weight, and like he said he has lost 02 stone now. She was an arrogant woman he said (the nurse) and she wasnt interested in anything he said, so we are going to borrow my sisters BP monitor, i am gonna play nursey and monitor it weekly for him, I must admitt i am really worried now, but saying that he isnt daft, he said he wouldnt risk it if he thought he was going to have an heart attack, he said he has too much to lose (meaning me and the kids) so I am still going to support him, I saw him after the 14 miler the other day and i was well impressed, he finished it quicker than he thought too, and i was still at the park with Cooper and Meg even walked on to meet us there (about half a mile) lol

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You would have thought that if there were going to be any problems they would have shown up in training - I'm sure you are going to make sure he takes it easy on race day and try not to push himself too much. Make sure he fills out his medical condition on the back of his race number but I'm sure he is going to be fine.

When is the Sheffield Half?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we have already filled out the details, Megs father didnt helpa while back when he got his number through cos he said (jokingly) that they put details on the back then if you collapse they cover your face so they dont have to look at it when they phone the next of kin.
It is Sunday 20th May Edwina, so not long now and he is raring to go bless him he cant wait.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Mine is the week after I'm not quite raring to go just yet. I'm on holiday in Scotland at the moment and I was hoping to do 11 miles this morning but I got lost trying to run off road and ending up doubling back when I realised I was going the wrong way (i.e. heading towards the Cairngorm). I reckon I did about 7 productive miles but I ran out of energy on the way back to where I was staying but fortunately my husdand came looking for me because I was late.

Still felt really frustated with myself and running off road is harder work than I thought - kept slipping on loose stones.

Still it was beautiful shame I wasn't in a frame of mind to appreciate. I was actually scared at one point when I realised that no-one knew where I was and I didn't have a phone or any money.

Wish Meg luck and make sure you post his results.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*wags finger at Edwina* you see you dont realise the worry you cause us none runners lol thats why i drew up a map of all megs routes and ask him which one he is going on so if he is late i go looking lol. Im so glad you were okay, bet your poor hubby was well worried.
Good luck with yours Edwina.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts