Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have entered my first 10K which is on the 21st September, which is fine, I have run two 10K's this week in training and felt ok.

Well I felt great the first time when it was poring with rain and the second time was ok though a bit hot and I started too quick.

Anyway, I digress, the race I am doing is the worst possible route I could imagine with more hills in it than the Himalayas' :mad: is that normal?

I accept where I live there are always going to be a couple of hills but this is a joke except I'm not laughing, neithers my mate who's doing it with me!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
No such thing as normal....races can be over any sort of terrrain...just enjoy it for what it is...glad it's you and not me...!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
There's absolutely nothing to say how hilly or flat a 10k should be... races tend to pride themselves on various features of their course... some because they're fast and flat - ideal for PB's... some as being very hilly/challenging - creating a 'are you up to the challenge' scenario... and then there's some that are somewhere in the middle, ideally advertised as being a nice scenic route, but some events are just neither hilly nor flat, and with boring scenery :lol:

Hilly events though, you run for position, not time ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that answers that.

Still think the organisers are sadists, having ridden the route on bike before I can't say I am over joyed at the prospect of running it but we all need a challenge :d

I won't be running for position, I will be running with the sole intention being to finish it with out puking or collapsing :lol:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have a 10k on the same date - the organiser told me the course is best described as "undulating" - am looking forward to the challenge, rather than a PB - but will be interesting :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Go out and do it for what it is, see it as a challenge and take on the hills and don't let them grind you down.

Post on how you get on it will be interesting to hear :d

Best of Luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I'm doing it now, I've paid for it, oh well.

It's the Tunbrudge Wells 10k, I just mapped it on map my run to get an idea of the elevation.

It is described as "Undulating/Hilly" :lol:

The last 1-1.5K is all up hill:mad:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
but equally (assuming it finishs at the same point) you have to go down the same distance

i did a 10mile race that was pretty much 4miles down a long road round a village and then 4miles back up the same road. i just made sure i made the most of the downhill with a deacent speed that then meant i could afford to drop my pace a bit on the up hill part

end of the day... go out.. run it... enjoy it...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think undulating races are better than races that are flat as they get the heart pumping and the legs going...flat races tend to be boring too.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well I'm doing it now, I've paid for it, oh well.

It's the Tunbrudge Wells 10k, I just mapped it on map my run to get an idea of the elevation.

It is described as "Undulating/Hilly" :lol:

The last 1-1.5K is all up hill:mad:
I find it worse when the uphill is at the beginning.

As has been said - just enjoy it, if nothing else it will be a good bit of training for the next time you do one on the flat :d

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's do people reckon to be the toughest 10k in terms of hills? Two of the hardest I've done up here in West Yorkshire are the Huddersfield 10k and Thorpe Edge in Bradford. Probably the only flat event is the Abbey Dash. Suggestions please!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
my hardest which was classed as a nearly 10km (9.8km) was the devils chimney in cheltenham.
it was basically 4.5miles up hill and about 1.5miles down a really steep track

1 - 17 of 17 Posts