Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth the money? do they actually do what they say on the tin?!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Some love, some hate! I find mine a very useful tool for training :d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
They're awesome :cool:

With one of these, you can tell what pace you are running at, plus loads of other stuff eg a little map, or a heart rate monitor if you get the posh one

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm it is tempting but I hear they are quite expensive

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
They do exactly what they say on the tin... it's more a question of whether you need something to do it!

I own a 305 (the one with a Heart rate monitor too) and I find it a really useful addition to my running kit - though it's certainly not essential!!! I love my stats, so having a garmin means I can sit down and analyse runs in as much, or as little detail as I need to. It's certainly not a case of "buy this and your running will improve incredibly" - you have to use the features to your advantage!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hmm it is tempting but I hear they are quite expensive
I got a 101 for about £60 - doesn't do what Richard's does, but it tells me how far I've run, how long it took, and what my best and average pace was, and keeps a record of my runs by day and week. Can't make head nor tail of the maps but it does those too :d It might do other stuff too, but I would have to RTFM...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that settles it, I'm going to invest in one.

I went out tonight for my usual jog and my stupid pedometer let me down, it fell off twice and didnt record my distance properly, it said I had gone 2k but I know for a fact the route I did is 1 mile there and back.

The stupid dogs slowing me down didnt help but thats another story.....

I'm off to ebay to find me a Garmin!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
go for it, they are v good :d

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thinking, are there any alternatives to the Garmin I should consider before I splash out?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Have a look at the Nike sportsband. Not quite as accurate as a Garmin but only 40 quid and a good step up from the pedometer.

Plus bairy is looking at a way of integrating the data into the training log on this site :d

·
Registered
376 Posts
Got to put in a vote for the Garmin. Since I've had mine (about a month) my personal bests have just tumbled down. Mine's a 305 with the heart rate monitor. I'd say the only reservation I'd have to getting one is if you did a lot of indoor treadmill stuff - not much use for a GPS there.
The justification I use to buying any running related stuff is that its a heck of a lot cheaper than joining a gym!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Have a look at the Nike sportsband. Not quite as accurate as a Garmin but only 40 quid and a good step up from the pedometer.

Plus bairy is looking at a way of integrating the data into the training log on this site :d
I may look into that Hrun.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I've got a 305 and use it on a treadmill to give me a more accurate heart rate reading.
Particularly if doing intervals or hill work.

I use it whenever I run and it has helped with my improvement greatly.

I'd like soooooooo totally recommend it:lol:.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Can I clarify.

Can you use the 305 to log your distance on the treadmill. I would love a Garmin but cannot justify the cost, especially as I use the treadmill a fair bit and would hate not logging the miles on my totals at nikeplus

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
It measure distance using a sensor attached to your trainer rather than gps. This works indoors or out.

There are gps systems that can incorporate a foot sensor for use on treadmills

1 - 20 of 32 Posts