Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had terrible trouble with shin splints for over a year now. I tried many things to resolve the issue - gait analysis & support shoes, physiotherapy, RICE, tonnes of stretching, etc, and was pretty much at my wits end. Thinking that I had tried almost everything I decided to finally do what my wife had been recommending for ages and buy a pair of Nike Shox. She has been wearing Nike Shox for many years and swears by them. She credits them with helping resolve her lower leg problems, so I bought a pair of Experience - the Shox with the Air cushioning, and they are fantastic.

Has anybody tried these shoes? They are a neutral shoe so offer no great support, but they are comfortable and a very cushioned ride, and my shin splints are fine. Don't get me wrong, I am still using a calf support plus stretching then icing like hell after a run, but I am running without pain!

For someone who suffered and thought he had tried everything (short of paying for extortionate orthotics) these shoes are a godsend.

Just thought i'd let you know in case there are other shin splints suffers out there who think they have tried everything. It's working so far for me!

Ito.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Glad to hear you've solved your shin splint problems.

I have been having shinsplints over the past few months as well, mainly on my long runs. I wore my new trainers for the first time on a long run this morning, as I had been breaking them in over shorter distances, and I had absolutely no problems with my lower legs at all. I reckon the cushioning on my previous trainers had worn out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear you've solved your shin splint problems.

I have been having shinsplints over the past few months as well, mainly on my long runs. I wore my new trainers for the first time on a long run this morning, as I had been breaking them in over shorter distances, and I had absolutely no problems with my lower legs at all. I reckon the cushioning on my previous trainers had worn out.
Not sure solved (I wish), but certainly managing. Also, cross training has help an awful lot, along with everything else. I think I am winning the battle though which feels GOOD!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's good to hear the situation is improving... shin splints isn't just going to dissappear when you put some new shoes on, but it sounds like they're definately helping - hopefully they'll be a distant memory soon enough :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are Nike Experience saving my shin splints? UPDATE

It turns out that no, they aren't. The bl**dy things are back with a vengeance.

Aaaaarrrggghhhh!!! I feel like crying like a little boy.

:'(

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
:(( sorry to hear that man... not sure what to suggest other than more rest until the injury has completely gone and then restraining yourself to very limited mileage and building up from scratch? it is an overuse injury after all?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
After a long talk with wifey (and something of an epiphany), she helped me see the errs in my training methods and I have accepted that yes, it is probably overuse. A great long run one day would make me just want to go out and bomb it the very next day, and if that felt good, then next day, and on, and on until injury... which is what happened just before my above post. Basically I didn't want to admit to myself that was it!

However, with the help of wifey I think I am finally beginning to say goodbye to the beginner in me. I've now moved across to practically all non weight bearing work for the moment. Things have improved dramatically, and my run tonight (still in the shox) felt much much better. So for the moment I am limiting myself to one or two sensible runs per week.

Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Great to hear that you seem to have found the cause... I think overtraining is something that the vast majority do at some point in their running career; I know I certainly did! (though it was potentially aided by the wrong trainers).

You'll soon be back on the roads properly Itokuzu... out of interest what does your missus do? I wish I could sit down and talk through my training schedule with some quality feedback from the missus :lol:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great to hear that you seem to have found the cause... I think overtraining is something that the vast majority do at some point in their running career; I know I certainly did! (though it was potentially aided by the wrong trainers).

You'll soon be back on the roads properly Itokuzu... out of interest what does your missus do? I wish I could sit down and talk through my training schedule with some quality feedback from the missus :lol:
I hope I have found the cause anyway, but you know what it's like. As you said earlier - shin splints are never going to disappear but with common sense, good advice, proper training and above all determination I will get through it!! (rousing anthem plays in background...!)

Wifey has just been doing this a lot longer than me, and is years ahead of me in terms of training and general know-how. Plus, she talks from experience as she was plagued with lower leg issues that stop her training for years. So I bow to her superior knowledge!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts