Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just joined the forum after a bit of browsing around. Greetings from Glasgow.

I'll give you a quick resume, please try to stay awake :d

I'm 33 and fairly active. I did a load of running 8yrs ago then switched to lifting weights for a few years and using cardio machines but no road running.

Due to a new addition to the family in january I took a few months off, then last month I decided to start running again as it took up less time than the gym did.

Started off running 2-3 miles - all fine. then I changed my shoes and ran 3 nights in a row and since then I can't shake the pain/stiffness in my left hip which occurs immediately after the run and lasts through to the next day. no pain during running.

I thought it might be my shoes, so I went to a running shop and had gait assessment done and was recommended to change shoes to Asics Kayano. Seems that my left ankle tends to roll inwards pretty badly while running.

Anyway, this was last Saturday and since then I've stepped up my runs to 5 miles, done one sunday and one last night and it's no better.

After trawling the www I found an article on ITBS which says the pain can occur at the hip not just the knee and a few causes are : over pronation and increasing intensity too quickly, both of which I have been guilty of.

Incidentally, if I press on the bony bit on the outside of the hip it feels like pressing a bruise.

Considering a physio or chiropractor shortly but was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar.

PS Albmaleaf, I ordered some of your product a couple of days ago for this :d

EDIT: wow, that's clever, I typed kayano and it makes a nice wee link, cool

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello SR1312! ITB syndrome would seem a reasonable possibility. Or possibly other muscular tightness. The other thing that springs to mind is trochanteric bursitis - typically presents with point tenderness over the greater trochanter - in other words when you press on the bony bit it feels like prssing a bruise! These often respond very well to injection into the site of pain. Some GPs will do this, and some physiotherapists.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi sr1312, and greetings from Auld Reekie.

I suffered from ITBS at the beginning of the year, but the pain is more in the a*se cheek than the hip. I am sure the band runs from back of the hip to the shin passing over the outside of the knee, hence the pain in the ass. I would get a fizzio booked asap. I left a niggling knee injury for a couple of months, and spent most of march, april and may sidelined. Get some recommendations for a fizzio, because like everything else, there are good and bad.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that.

I managed to get an appointment today with a chiropractor. He said it's not ITBS it's my pelvis that is misaligned.

I've never been to a chiro before and wow, did I get a shock when he started thumping me and my joints went CRACK !

I could feel the difference immediately when walking out of the surgery. Going back on Friday for a follow up, going to have a few days rest then start back gently.

I was even given the first consultation for free as my mum had referred me, saved £40.:d

If anyone else has similar problems I would highly recommend a check up .

stu

·
Registered
151 Posts
stu, would also be worth getting your muscular balance looked at by a fizzio. I am no expert, but a misaligned pelvis could have been caused by an imbalance in muscle.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea. I'll look into that.

I've a fair idea what may have caused it. For the past few years I've lifted a lot of heavy weights in the gym, often doing heavy squats in a smith machine and heavy deadlifts too probably without perfect form. I've given this up now and will be sticking to lighter forms of resistance training and running.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts