Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I need some help and advice please…

I had Plantar Fasciitis for most of last year and, whilst it’s now cleared in the main, there’s still a slight tinge every now and again to suggest it’s not cleared 100%. I have ‘normal’ arches (not high or low arches or flat feet). I have been trying to work out if I need ‘Neutral’ or ‘Stability’ shoes. I cannot work out what I am really, I’d guess probably ‘Neutral’.

Whilst I’m not actually a runner I take a brisk walk to work every day which is just short of 3 miles (45-50 minutes) and was advised to invest in proper running shoes to help overcome the Plantar Fasciitis and to prevent it returning. I work in an office so spend the rest of the day sat a desk so the walk into work is my main exercise and workout for the day.

I wear, and have worn for the last year or so, Orthotics Arch Supports (as per the link below) all day every day in whichever shoes I wear whether it be my current Asics trainers, Clarks work shoes or my casual Skechers shoes. However, from reading online articles, it would appear that ASICS GEL trainers are deemed the best for Plantar Fasciitis so I am about to invest in some new ones, but my question is, should I be wearing these Orthotic inserts inside the ASICS GEL trainers as well? I always have done until now but do they act as extra protection to my foot or does it affect what the GEL trainer is designed to do by cushioning the heel and absorbing the shock etc (if this makes sense?).

(https://www.plantarfix.co.uk/collections/all/products/plantarfix-orthotic-adjustable-support?fbclid=IwAR20PRg0b44-3I9yg_MePpfwZDmRu69JjL13beQFv5aWnET6FmuV8fV-t6I

Any advice, personal experiences or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Hi Lee plantar fascitis is a diagnosis but there is no insight as to why you have it, and there are a lot of different reasons why you might have it. Have you done much calf stretching for example? Tight calves is the most common cause of PF pain. Therefore there is no 'best shoes' for the issue. I would advise going to a podiatrist for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Lee,
I had plantar fascitis (PF) 2 years ago and did several things to recover from that injury. The best physical therapy was to static stretch and kneed the whole foot. Do this several times a day. You can also use cushion inserts or better quality shoes for your exercise. Your inserts should have a ridged section right under your neutral arch, and the rest can be just cushion. This will help your Achilles pain. If you are consistent, go easy, and follow a strict daily schedule, then you will get through this within a few months. However, if you become complacent, then it can last years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts