Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received a dodgy message from James2:confused:

Don't know if someone wants to investigate?

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put it

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had a PM from the same bloke aswell. Something about buddism I believe. Could be a spambot or something similar.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
He been banned now by looks of it - I got the message too.

I actually did a double take - I am a Buddhist, sort of - so at first thought someone on the forum had sussed me out and decided to initiate a conversation about Buddhism, lol :p

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
They're spambots. They put the site they want to spam in their signature then pm people with something that doesn't make a lot of sense. In theory they want you to click the link to figure out what they're talking about.

Luckily they aren't made very well since they usually message someone who can ban them, James2's case it was me.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
bairy said:
They're spambots. They put the site they want to spam in their signature then pm people with something that doesn't make a lot of sense. In theory they want you to click the link to figure out what they're talking about.

Luckily they aren't made very well since they usually message someone who can ban them, James2's case it was me.
This was an odd one, as far as my experience of spam bots goes - as it did actually lead to a page with links to Buddhist articles and stuff (rather than a hair loss or "blue pill" page which tries to download x amount of trojans on to your machine!). Suppose the Adwords was there to give a clue that there is some monetary benefit to getting traffic to his page...

Perhaps Buddhists are the new spammers? Lol.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It's the adverts yeah. Some people think they can make a fast buck by creating a very quick n easy site, then piling it with adverts.

Quite often you see posts from well known blogs appear on these sites, or a popular viral image. I think this is the first time I've seen a set of actual valid links, but the principal is the same.

I don't know if they'll actually make any profit. After the cost of getting hold of a spambot and the time taken to find places to spam, I don't know if enough people will click an ad to make it worthwhile. And then there's always the chance that Google will close their adwords account before payday. I haven't read the adwords TOS recently but I would imagine there's something in there about spamming in order to attract ad clicks (which is possibly why they use PMs rather than posts that google staff could easily find)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts