Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bit of a chat with Runningfox in another thread about being at the top of your game. Wanting to get there is really what keeps me going, knowing that there's always scope to improve. But when do we get there? Do we ever reach that point and know we can't get any better? RF mentioned a distinctive upward and downward curve in performance over a lifetime of running and this seems logical.

Who feels like they're at the top of their game right now? I certainly don't :p How about that downward curve? Anyone feel like they'll never beat the elusive PB that was set a couple of years back? If so, what spurs you on now?

I know it's not this black and white and people run for all kinds of reasons, just got me interested thinking about it!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not a quick runner so it is unlikely I will ever win any races unless I knobble the opposition first:d and as for a peak I am at the top now as I am a relative newcomer to running and it may be all down hill from here unless some of the + 46 year old runners here know different. I guess I just run to keep fit, the fact that I am fitter than a lot of people around me is a good enough incentive.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I think the general consensus is you'll reach your peak after seven years of serious running/racing pretty much regardless of what age you start. That was certainly the case with me. I started racing aged 55 and was at my best aged 62.
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think I may in the last year have reached my peak....aims for the next year are more to do with fitness than pbs..........oh and that little jog down to the south coast!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Certainly not at my peak, and I feel I've got a good few years before I do. I think once you reach your peak, you'll realise and your goals will change - that or you'll give up! lol!

The question I think is whether what we feel is our peak, is at the same level as reaching our full potential. Personally I think for the vast majority our ability is simply the limits we impose on ourselves, and that most people will never reach their full potential - so in theory you could argue they've not reached their peak.... or something? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well i have it all to come then :p

Only been running since October so i not even reached novice i dont think :D

I would just like to get a bit better to get my confidence back please............. pretty......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well i have it all to come then :p

Only been running since October so i not even reached novice i dont think :D

I would just like to get a bit better to get my confidence back please............. pretty......:rolleyes:
:d
:d
Well let's see what we can do....

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
See me comment on 'self imposed limits', you're setting yourself for failure here - be more positive man :p

You've achieved so much, I'm suprised you haven't got aspirations for much further improvement too! :(
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am just having a down moment as it looks like I will not be racing this weekend.

After all the build up I am furious with myself. I have run sensibly and avoided performance injuries only to trin my ankle on a bad path I needn't have gone down.

Heyho. Back on track next week I hope.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
one of those annoying things I guess :(( It can't be helped at all, but there's always tomorrow, and you'll undoubtedly bounce back. You have to... you've inspired some of the newer forum members, and you wouldn't wanna let them down now would you :p

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Another aspect is what sort of running you do. Men don't reach their endurance peak till they are in their 30's so I still have a few years to go!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have had to back off my training as I want to do my Commando course and need to peak at the right Time, around week five of the course (seven weeks in total) was prepping for March 2009 and now cant go till Feb 2010.
I have dropped off slightly but not by much

1 - 15 of 15 Posts