Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to running and have started in earnest this summer and after 13 weeks have made some real gains. However in the past I have 'binged' exercised in the summer and gone back to work in the autumn(I'm a teacher so enjoy long summer holidays) only to get bogged down in work and the nights draw in by the time I return home. So to maintain my fittness I'm thinking of getting an excercise bike and running at the weekends.
How to you all manage during winter, any advice or tips will be gratefutly recieved.:)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'd recommend going for a run before work in the morning - that way it doesn't matter about getting caught up in things at work,you've already done your trainig. An added bonus is that you feel absolutley bright as a button by the time you get to work. Also in winter it's dark at either end of the day so that doesn't really matter either.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Personally I like running in the dark and also when it's cold. Try it out a couple of times a week, lot cheaper than an exercise bike which might end up as a clothes horse... ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I actually really enjoy running during the colder months theres somethin nice about it! i just get all wrapped up and go out as usual! Early mornings are good as long as i can get up and wake up before i go out otherwise i dont make it very far at all and its just a waste of time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Running in winter is great if you accept that there is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing.

Living in the country I find it hard to run in the mornings; no light. I know that I could wear a head-torch but I much prefer to run in natural light or with street lighting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Shotoku said:
Hi all,
I'm new to running and have started in earnest this summer and after 13 weeks have made some real gains. However in the past I have 'binged' exercised in the summer and gone back to work in the autumn(I'm a teacher so enjoy long summer holidays) only to get bogged down in work and the nights draw in by the time I return home. So to maintain my fittness I'm thinking of getting an excercise bike and running at the weekends.
How to you all manage during winter, any advice or tips will be gratefutly recieved.:)
I have just come across this quote from Emil Zatopek which I though appropriate.

"There is a great advantage in training under unfavorable conditions. It is better to train under bad conditions, for the difference is then a tremendous relief in a race."
Emil Zatopek

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think I've just found my signature!

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you can run in the mornings I think that's the best time. I prefer running in Winter and Autumn than the hotter weather. I used to run years ago and my training definitely trailed off in the heat. I'm going to make more of an effort this time round but make the most of winter while it's here.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I love running in all seasons. But in Winter I like especially those quiet Sunday mornings when the streets are empty and the sky is blue, with the air very still...
Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
During the winter, I tend to go to the gym and the swimming during the week and then run and/or cycle at the weekend.

However, if I'm training for a specific race, I'll make sure I do all my runs.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
During the winter I tend to do 2 long runs on the weekend, then try to get 1 or 2 short speed runs in the week (30-45 min sessions). You have to just get used to the idea of running in cold, wet, dark and sometimes windy conditions. I don't mind the cold though. much prefer it to running in heat. Much easier to warm yourself up than cool down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts