Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I competed in this race last Sunday, and would go as far to say that this is probably the best half marathon in the UK.

The scenery on the route is simply breathtaking. We got a great day for it as well, crisp, sunny autumnal morning. The support, organisation, marshalling, goody bags, prizes (I got 2 :d - 3rd place and 1st mens team), post race entertainment, results etc etc were all top class, and this is the first running of the event.

The course is 7.5 miles of undulating trail routes around Badaguish, Glenmore, Loch Morlich and the Rothiemurchus estate, then onto the 'ski road' and down into Aviemore to finsh at the new MacDonald Highland Resort centre, basically 13.1 miles of running in the Cairngorm National Park.

Everyone, I have spoken to since is raving about this race, it is one definitely not to be missed. Next year it is on the weekend of the 13th / 14th Oct, and you should get your entry in early as this one was filled by July this year!!!!!

web address is http://www.aviemorehalfmarathon.org

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow, what a ringing endorsement of a race. I wonder if I'll be ready to run a half marathon in a year's time. Could be quite a goal.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've spent a lot of time in the Loch Morlich/Rothiemurchus area, walking, camping, munro-bagging, and it really is beautiful.
BUT, I've been looking at the race results and was intrigued by the age categories. 50-59 category runners are SUPERVETERANS. The 60+ category is called VINTAGE. If there was such a category (and there'd have to be before I'd enter), what would they call 70+ or 75+ runners? Antique? Fossils?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts