Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took the plunge and had some custom made orthotics done due to my knees.
I used them for the first time on a Tempo run the other night which was 7m inc warmup;[email protected];cool down.They seemed quite fine at first then the last couple of mile i started to get an increased pain above my ankle at the back of my leg,it seems to have eased now although a round of golf didn't help today I was wondering should i have broken them in better like wearing them for work first or should it be ok running on them straight away?

Cheers Gaz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Gaz.
I'm not a doctor, but this sounds like a similar problem I had after my gait analysis when I changed to trainers with more support.
I noticed (what sounds like) similar pain.
IMO, this is probably just your soleus muscle, (which is a deeper muscle located below your calf muscles) getting used to your foot striking the ground in a slightly different way.
Personally, I would rest for a couple of days, and then gradually build up to your previous levels of training over a week or so. 7 miles seems to be fairly excessive when your leg muscles are not used to moving in this slightly new way!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I think that the idea of wearing them at work for a few days sounds sensible to me. If you think about it, your legs have had a lifetime of working within a certain range of movement... Now they're been asked to work in a slightly different way, which is magnified when running. So maybe a gentler "introduction" would be better?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realised you had to wear them in :embarrassed: but now i've read the booklet that came with them, i do now :d
After putting my original insoles in my leg felt much bettter after just 1 day,i thought it was best to miss my long run though on Sunday and i'm going to resume tomorrow as it feels ok now.

Thx...lesson learned ;) Gaz

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm now starting to think i've got a calf strain.:(

Like i said the pain eased so i resumed running, hurting at 1st but then it went after 2-3 mile.
So i thought it was shin splints as they can occur at the back of the legs as well plus with the pain going i thought it was classis shin splints but after my run on Wednesday the pain has been the same every day.

It hurts if i stand on tip toes or even slight stretching of the calf when i'm walking,the trouble is i'm in the FLM in April which leaves me 8 weeks,i got in through the Downs Syndrome Association which my youngest Jake has and my fund raising is nearly at the £1500 mark :)

The question is can i still do it or is it a bridge to far,at the moment i 'm running 17 miles a week ,obviously i'd have to start again building up again. I'd go to a physio but when i had my knee injury i saw 4 different physios and 4 different diagnoses :confused:
I have an active job as a plasterer as i'm on my feet all day so you thought i'd be used to extra activity.

Any1 give me a pick-me-up ;)

Gaz

http://www.justgiving.com/garycox1

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Gazwebb said:
I'm now starting to think i've got a calf strain.:(

Like i said the pain eased so i resumed running, hurting at 1st but then it went after 2-3 mile.
So i thought it was shin splints as they can occur at the back of the legs as well plus with the pain going i thought it was classis shin splints but after my run on Wednesday the pain has been the same every day.

It hurts if i stand on tip toes or even slight stretching of the calf when i'm walking,the trouble is i'm in the FLM in April which leaves me 8 weeks,i got in through the Downs Syndrome Association which my youngest Jake has and my fund raising is nearly at the £1500 mark :)

The question is can i still do it or is it a bridge to far,at the moment i 'm running 17 miles a week ,obviously i'd have to start again building up again. I'd go to a physio but when i had my knee injury i saw 4 different physios and 4 different diagnoses :confused:
I have an active job as a plasterer as i'm on my feet all day so you thought i'd be used to extra activity.

Any1 give me a pick-me-up ;)

Gaz

http://www.justgiving.com/garycox1
Hi Gaz First thing i would say is take a couple of days rest from running .Obviously you're still going to have to work which is hard enough giving what you do .

So you need to rest the calf as much as possible otherwise it could lead to a longer term injury.

Have you tried ice on the calf, in an ideal world it's best to do it straight after the injury has occured. You need to get some frozen peas in a bag and keep them on the injury site for about 15 mins, this can be repeated, but you need to let the injury site skin warm back up first .

Also take some antiinflamatory like ibuprofen.

This along with a few days rest from running should help

When you resume running try to run on grass to reduce the impact and don't run too hard or too long, if possible swap some of your easy run days for a swim Don't go beating yourself up be realistic your priority is providing for your family first and foremost, .

I wacked myself on the inside of my knee on friday with a lump hammer and i've got a half in a couple of weeks It's really painful at the moment tried running on it agony!

So ice ibuprofen and rest for me also.self employed so still have to work!

You've still got 8 weeks left that's loads of time .

I hope this helps a bit

take it easy

cheriton

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thx for the advice Cheriton i'm just glad i didn't wack myself on the knee instead:d

I've set myself a date a week Thursday (28th) as to wether i'll do the FLM if not i'll do a local one in Sept and hopefully keep my sponsors :rolleyes: .

I've had today off to rest it a bit more.When i first get out of bed its hard to walk on it,i have to walk for about 10min before the pain goes so i might go to the doctors if it carry's on.

Cheers Gaz

www.justgiving.com/garycox1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

I went to the minor injuries ward in Lichfield today and i luckily got a nurse who's a keen runner herself and diagnosed it as my achilles tendon which i've aggrevated.The question is,is that better ?:huh: or worse? :(

Cheers Gaz

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi gaz your talking to a fellow achilles sufferer!

It really can be painful

Did the nurse give you any advice?
the way i deal with it is the same as my previous really

the injury is associated to the calf muscle
Have you been doing more hill work in your training ?

it can sometimes indicate weak calf muscles but not in your case !

It's probably therefore an overuse injury

You should cut back on your training as it can lead to long periods of tendonitis

You've doing the rest bit so thats good

When you do resume it's good to do calf stretches after you run

one other thing do you overpronate as this can put an extra strain on the calf

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Something you may (or may not) want to try is called "frictioning". This is basically a rather severe form of deep massage that you can do yourself at home. And it hurts. A lot...:eek:
... But can be effective on achilles injuries, or any other kind of soft tissue injury.;)
Put a small amount of vaseline (or any kind of oil/cream; just as long as it allows the fingers to slide over the skin) on the affected area. Then, starting at the heel, press an index finger on each side of the tendon and slide slowly up towards the calf, paying particular attention to the damaged area. (Imagine that with your fingers, you're trying to squeeze the last bit of toothpaste from the bottom of the tube, and out of the top). Gradually increase the pressure, so that you're really digging in as much as you can. Some people actually pay to have this done to them!
Essentially, what you're doing is breaking down damaged tissue, or scar tissue. This tissue is inflexible and works against the undamaged area causing pain.
I use this sort of treatment on any muscle/tendon/ligament injury I get. Done properly, it can speed up the healing process and keep you on the road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds good pedestrian,i'll give it a go....with some painkillers b4 hand:d

Cheriton,i haven't been doing any hill running,well not major hill running,theres ups and downs where i live but not proper serious hills.I do overpronate on my right foot which is where all my injuries have been on my right side in the last year.

Which is why i got some custom made orthotics done ,i've been running with Brooks adrenaline 7 for the last year.

The nurses advice was to rest it when it gets painfull,ahe's also put me in for some physio

but as with everything i just want to....run!!! :( :)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
Something you may (or may not) want to try is called "frictioning". This is basically a rather severe form of deep massage that you can do yourself at home. And it hurts. A lot...:eek:
... But can be effective on achilles injuries, or any other kind of soft tissue injury.;)
Put a small amount of vaseline (or any kind of oil/cream; just as long as it allows the fingers to slide over the skin) on the affected area. Then, starting at the heel, press an index finger on each side of the tendon and slide slowly up towards the calf, paying particular attention to the damaged area. (Imagine that with your fingers, you're trying to squeeze the last bit of toothpaste from the bottom of the tube, and out of the top). Gradually increase the pressure, so that you're really digging in as much as you can. Some people actually pay to have this done to them!
Essentially, what you're doing is breaking down damaged tissue, or scar tissue. This tissue is inflexible and works against the undamaged area causing pain.
I use this sort of treatment on any muscle/tendon/ligament injury I get. Done properly, it can speed up the healing process and keep you on the road.
This is all a bit new age for you P:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Gazwebb said:
That sounds good pedestrian,i'll give it a go....with some painkillers b4 hand:d
Maybe not a good idea to use the painkillers. I think it would be better if you could more accurately "monitor" the pain. If the pain is masked, you may do more harm than good. It's the same principal for running with painkillers... if you mask the pain, you may do more damage than you would if you're able to "obey" the signals your body is sending out. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now its not Achilles:rolleyes: I went and had my physio on Thursday and the physio said its slight compartment syndrome, basically because i used my orthotics straight away it changed the way my foot had been pronating and so stretched the muscle/tendon that runs between the shin and calf muscle to the bottom of my foot. Causing it to inflame but because its restricted between mycalf and shin it causes the pain i'm having.

He gave me some exercises to do and also made a wedge to put in my footwear to relieve the muscle and i must say that its working fine.He said i could go for a run today just a short slow 3m and i thought he was joking because of the pain that was coming from it,but i did today and it did hurt a bit but i iced when i got home and its great at the mo.I ran 3m in about 30 min where as i normally do it in 25 min and it was so easy i didn't even get out of breath. I think thats where i've been going wrong in my training trying to run to get a fast time in my 1st marathon where as i should just concentrate on finishing it instead.
I must say that running is a very big learning curve :d

Cheers Gaz

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Gazwebb said:
I must say that running is a very big learning curve :d Cheers Gaz
*sigh*:embarrassed: It's something I sadly don't appreciate. I can't actually remember "beginning" to run. Everyone runs as a part of childhood play... I never really stopped "playing", and I suppose that's all I've been doing ever since... View attachment 253

1 - 17 of 17 Posts