Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There
Perhaps anyone can help. As some of you are aware Ive started jogging. Im overweight and trying to get fit to eventually run a 10k. Anyhoo after my first week of running Ive developed a bad pain in my lower back. Its very painful.. I therefore havent run Thurs Fri Sat or Sun. and its still there, not as bad but still very painful. Has anyone got any advice as to what could be causing this.... Is it because Im overweight (about 2 stones) or because my joints are not used to me running....

If anyone can help then Id really appreciate it as Im desperate to get back into my running plan so I can be ready for this looming 10K

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi Andy back pain where do we start ! this is a difficult subject however as someone who has had a disc removed after nearly two years of hell i feel able to help a bit .

Has the pain come on since you started running or was there some other trigger? such as lifting something with cold muscles could even be lifting something not that heavy .

Where is the pain exactly is it one side or generally across the back upper, lower ,middle allover?

Do you have any pain anywhere else such as down the leg?into the calf for example. You say it's not quite so bad now you've stopped running but is still painful this is hard to quantify as eveybodys pain threshold is different .

Without being to personal do you carrry a lot of your weight in front ie the belly ,the reason i ask this is that a big belly puts a tremendous stain on the back .

As a new runner how much have you been doing ask yourself if you've been pushing too hard .

cheriton

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the kind reply... Yes I suppose I am carrying a bit at the front. The pain has come on since I started running. Many years ago I had a car crash and fractrured this leg, it didnt heal so they did a bone graft and that came from my hip.

Im still getting the pain in my lower back however since I stopped running it isnt as bad but still painful.

The pain is generally to the right of my back, and once I could feel it half way up my back to the right, which I could only describe as being in the lung region

I am thinking also that I have possibly pushed to hard as for the first 7 days I went out 5 of them....

But any help you can give would be so gratefully received

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
You've answered this one yours self Andy the combination of things has put strain on your back .

I know it's easy for me to say but the less you carry in front the easier it'll be on the back

As with most back troubles you need to keep active your posture is important when sitting and standing. try not to slouch on the sofa and don't cross your legs as this puts extra strain on the back

You could also try some NSAID non steroidal anti inflamatory like ibuprofen there are others but need to be prescribed by your doctor.

If the symptoms persist you should seek a medical opinion

With regard to starting your training again if it's too painful to run at the moment you coul;d try swimming or cycling to keep yourself going

The other thing to consider is your biomechanics there could be something happening when you run thats causing a problem

It's most likely though that you've done to much to soon.

A gradual approach is always the way to go

I hope this helps a bit,its miserable having back pain but there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!

As always the above is not a medical opinion

take it easy

Cheriton

·
Registered
48 Posts
Alright matey.

I wouldnt push as hard as you have mentioned above. 5 nights out of 7 straight into running would probably be too much. Everyone is different though.

Remember you need a good mid body strength to do running as well in order to keep you posture correct whilst running. Although this might be required when you come on to longer distances. Still, you could swap some of your running sessions for some swimming or sit ups if your back feels ok. They dont have to be proper sit ups. Could lie on your back, have your knees bent and jus slide your hands up your leg to your knee and back down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate all your comments, its most kind it really is.
I was also speaking to the works doctor and hes also of the same opinions....

Im scaling down my training to 3 days a week till I build it up and Ive got some back exercises

Again I really appreciate all your comments and I shall keep you updated so you can see if this improves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts