Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ultras are what I enjoy. Over 3 yrs ago I was tired listless and fatigued. A visit to the doctor revealed that I had v low iron. With supplements and a dietary change the iron level increased but along with the iron I think I lost my motivation. So 3 yrs and 2 stone weight gain later I have decided to knuckle down and get "back to ultras". Hopefully posting on this forum and using the blog will help motivate me.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Good to hear you've decided to start up again Fifer! Welcome to the forum - i'm sure you'll find everyone on here friendly (if not a little doo-lally!) :rolleyes: and encouraging.

As for Ultras.... :eek: you're insane, lol, Half Mara is far enough for me atm thanks! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good for you Fifer, Ultra's are always something I read about and really admire the people that do them.

keep up the motivation !! :d

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motivation

Thx Guys....what with the forum, podcasts and just the pure desire to run for 24 hours again I know im gonna make it!!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Fifer said:
the pure desire to run for 24 hours
Not a desire I've experienced much myself :eek: Might have a go at a 32-miler at some point.

Anyway, welcome to the forum :) It's great that you are back into running

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I am a marathon and ultra runner at heart...but have been trying to fix a broken body for a year and a half... and I have missed both the long distance races and the long distance training.

So Fifer...I can completely understand where you're coming from.

Does that make me a nutter too :rolleyes:

Don't answer that ;)

Good luck Fifer

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
we is all nutters ....

if you're into trail running fifer then you're well placed for some awesome ultras.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trinity get back to it girl!!!! With the Commonwealth trials looming for 100K and 24 hrs we aint gonna be a loony fringe for much longer lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done the Doncaster doddle the west highland waylairgh ghru and speyside way Ed. Would prefer that my first race back is on trail or track. My fave road ultra is well gone Two Bridges.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Fifer said:
My fave road ultra is well gone Two Bridges.
ah yes..... lost that a couple of years ago.
never got round to that one.

fortunately managed a london to brighton before that got canned even longer ago !

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Fifer said:
Trinity get back to it girl!!!! With the Commonwealth trials looming for 100K and 24 hrs we aint gonna be a loony fringe for much longer lol

I wish!!! But I've got an extremely unhappy CP nerve in my right leg that will not let me run more than 12 measley miles :(

I ran the last Two Bridges and I have to say that I did not enjoy it one bit... probably not helped by some loony Scot deliberately driving at me in his car and shouting obscenities as he did so :mad:

L2B was next on my list to do but they cancelled it the year I was going to enter... must have heard I was coming :confused:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Trinity said:
L2B was next on my list to do but they cancelled it the year I was going to enter... must have heard I was coming :confused:
well it was a classic race.... but pretty miserable in places.... and a but dubious with the traffic.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Fifer said:
ooooh.. pray tell... i need a target :)

nowhere near good enough for either i suspect.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
At least with 100k you know you ran a race. I would rather do that than, say, 100m, when all the training and hype is for something that only lasts 10 seconds, and many of the eager spectators would miss 20% of your race cos they blinked :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Katten the quickest iv done 100m(iles) is about 19h 30m!!! most folk were comatose not blinking lol

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm tempted to do the Marathon des Sables at some point in my life, it looks pretty awesome. Somehow, the idea of running 150 miles in scorching heat seems less bad if you take a week to do it and have breaks for food, water and camel-wrestling :d

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol Iv thought about that too Katten but as part of trying to get back to ultras im going to start racing over the hills again so if I was gonna travel for an ultra I think I would stick to europe and do 1 in the alps!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
plenty of options there fifer!

my missus wont let me do MdS, by all accounts its getting a bit like GNR or London Marathon.. there'll be people doing it in fancy dress soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol I doubt that ed but get where you are coming from ultra, adventure races etc are getting more n more popular as can be confirmed by early closing dates on a lot of them!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts