Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone get bad running days, where you just can't run for sh*t, for no apparant reason? I had one the other day, i didn't feel tired but i couldn't do much more than a Kilometre without getting a stitch but i didn't feel particulary tired, i was gutted as i've been progressing well of late i feel. I hadn't eaten for hours but i often don't so could it be down to just one of those things?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Cheeks,

Everyone has bad days every now and then, sometimes there's a reason, sometimes just because. Maybe it had been just too long since you'd eaten, so your blood sugar level was too low?

You say you've been progressing well lately; does this mean you've been pushing yourself recently? If so, you need to make sure you're having enough rest days and that you level off your training every now and then. Your body needs to get used to a level of fitness/intensity before it can progress to the next. If you don't do this, you risk burnout/injury.

Then again, could just be one of those things :)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
everyone gets them ... sometimes they can be avoided sometimes not. i try to identifiy the problem and then correct it, usually for me its down to not drinking enough water

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Cheeks,

Everyone has bad days every now and then, sometimes there's a reason, sometimes just because. Maybe it had been just too long since you'd eaten, so your blood sugar level was too low?

You say you've been progressing well lately; does this mean you've been pushing yourself recently? If so, you need to make sure you're having enough rest days and that you level off your training every now and then. Your body needs to get used to a level of fitness/intensity before it can progress to the next. If you don't do this, you risk burnout/injury.

Then again, could just be one of those things :)

Yep, whole heartedly agree with Terms comments. Listen to your body, sometimes what you need to improve is to not to run, rest and let your body recover.

On the other hand it may well just be a one off or a temporary glitch that happens without rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, i have been pushing myself a little bit lately, but i feel i've done well, but maybe i needed an extra rest day and i hadn't eaten enough either. I've had the weekend off (had a drinking session on Saturday night though and been persuaded to go down the pub tonight too so i'm going need to burn off those calories! :rolleyes:) so i think i'll do better next run.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sometimes it is good to just go out without a watch and run slowly for the pleasure of running. I find doing this feels like resting as there is no pressure

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think if you have a bad run then there's ALWAYS a reason for it, I mean there has to be doesn't there? Something has changed that's stopping you do what you'd normally do.

Sometimes the cause is virtually impossible to identify as it can be anything from fatigue, to underfueling, dehydration, or anything really. Best thing is just to accept some runs are going to be 'bad' runs, but be grateful that you still went out and did it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts