Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the lymington 10k on the 13th of may. A marshall sent the first 5 runners the wrong way. Anyone had anything like this happen? I was on for a PB too!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
runnerman1971 said:
I did the lymington 10k on the 13th of may. A marshall sent the first 5 runners the wrong way. Anyone had anything like this happen? I was on for a PB too!
Some years ago I was running a LDWA route, about 28 miles, when a marshall three quarters of the way into the race pointed the race leaders in the wrong direction. They ran all the way down into the valley before realising their mistake, then had to go back up again. Having recced the route the previous week I ignored the marshall and stuck to the proper route. I finished fourth overall with a lot of very good runners behind me I wouldn't normally have beaten. So it was to my advantage.
In a similar vein, in a ten mile race in 2005 a marshall was missing at a vital point and ALL the runners went in the wrong direction and reduced the race distance to about 9.3 miles.
Cheers!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Runningfox said:
Some years ago I was running a LDWA route, about 28 miles, when a marshall three quarters of the way into the race pointed the race leaders in the wrong direction. They ran all the way down into the valley before realising their mistake, then had to go back up again. Having recced the route the previous week I ignored the marshall and stuck to the proper route. I finished fourth overall with a lot of very good runners behind me I wouldn't normally have beaten. So it was to my advantage.
In a similar vein, in a ten mile race in 2005 a marshall was missing at a vital point and ALL the runners went in the wrong direction and reduced the race distance to about 9.3 miles.
Cheers!
That's what happened. first 5 went wrong way. Some bloke who ran about 39 minutes, came in looking somewhat suprised with his victory. A true tale of tortoise and the hare.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i'm assuming this was a volunteer marshall... in which case it sounds like they were inadequately briefed by the race organiser.

given the difficulty to get enough marshalls for many races it's a bit harsh to put all the blame on this one person who's giving up their time so that we can race.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ed_m said:
i'm assuming this was a volunteer marshall... in which case it sounds like they were inadequately briefed by the race organiser.

given the difficulty to get enough marshalls for many races it's a bit harsh to put all the blame on this one person who's giving up their time so that we can race.
It was also a charity race, so we can't argue really. After I calmed down, I did write a letter to the marshall to say not to worry and that these things happen etc. I'm not a total arse! I shall still enter next year; at least I'll know where I'm going!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
runnerman1971 said:
I once had a dumb spectator direct me the wrong way within 400m of the finish of a ten miler.I too was on a pb,doesn't it make you want to spit.:mad:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
OZBOZO said:
I once had a dumb spectator direct me the wrong way within 400m of the finish of a ten miler.I too was on a pb,doesn't it make you want to spit.:mad:
How many of you actually ever work or volunteer at a race?
I do and runners are whinging gits!
They want the moon on a bleedin' stick but NEVER help at races themselves!:cool:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i'm marshalling on sunday :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running on sunday. But my club is marshalling it, and I have to supply a family member to take my place on the organising side.

·
Registered
120 Posts
steepler said:
How many of you actually ever work or volunteer at a race?
I do and runners are whinging gits!
They want the moon on a bleedin' stick but NEVER help at races themselves!:cool:
Well,since you replied to my post,where I mentioned a SPECTATOR not VOLUNTEER,
could I say that I wholeheartedly agree with you about SOME runners.
As for myself,I almost
singlehandedly organised the local CC race programme for some 10 years.
Some do not
appreciate the work that goes into it,but majority I always found appreciative.:d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts