Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, My 10-year old Garmin Forerunner 305 has a dying battery. it can no longer hold a charge for more than 28 minutes or so before coming up with a battery low warning. Not very handy as my regular run is about 38 minutes duration. The battery cannot be replaced. Any ides for extending its life? Would regularly deleting historic data after upload reduce the normal current consumption and allow it to keep going for a bit longer? Perhaps it is time to say farewell faithful friend.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Deleting stuff won't make any difference. Unfortunately, batteries don't last forever. If it's not holding a charge for more than 28 minutes then it is well past the end of it's life already and there's nothing that you can do to extend it.

Your best bet is to just get another watch. The Forerunner 235 (or 230 if you don't want optical heart rate) is reasonably priced and would be a decent replacement. The cheaper option would be the 35, but it's more limited so it depends what you want from your watch. You can often find good deals for them on amazon.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You may be able to charge it while you run with a small battery charger and a usb cable. Not a perfect solution but may do the trick.
My Mrs uses this kind of thing for the kids ipads on a long train journey. CAC.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You can actually still get hold of the battery from third parties and there is a youtube video (e.g. this) on how to replace it. But you should be able to get a 310XT for peanuts, or something properly modern as already mentioned. It is worth learning a new interface if only for the much shorter time a newer model takes to lock onto satellites, IMHO.

·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stupid Beard. Time for me to start looking for a new one.
I have followed the example of our wonderful politicians and treated this problem with urgency.

Friday I bought a new Garmin Forerunner 45 from my local shop - Running Bath - and used it for the first time today. Pleased :d

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have followed the example of our wonderful politicians and treated this problem with urgency.

Friday I bought a new Garmin Forerunner 45 from my local shop - Running Bath - and used it for the first time today. Pleased :d
Glad you finally sorted it :lol:

The current crop of Garmins are all pretty decent, the 45 is a good choice. Probably a good thing you waited as there's been loads of new models released since your original post, the one you bought being one of them.

·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you finally sorted it :lol:

The current crop of Garmins are all pretty decent, the 45 is a good choice. Probably a good thing you waited as there's been loads of new models released since your original post, the one you bought being one of them.
Thanks. Am enjoying using it. Does everything better than the old one except takes longer to pick up the satellites. Am pleased that it uses the same software on my aged PC to record the runs. Was afraid I might have to get a smart phone :s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts