Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I was wondering how I can best train to become faster...
I do run a lot, about 45km per week. This normally consists of a 20K run, a 10K run and two shorter runs.
The 20K run, I take quite leisurly at around 6 - 6.15 min/km and the other runs I do at around 5.20 - 5.30 min/km. One of them normally is a hill run.
Well, I have become a little bit faster during the last month, however, I would love to get below 5 min/km, but it just seems impossible!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve my speed?
Thanks,
Jen.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
A good idea is to join a club and train with those a bit quicker than yourself.

Speed reps obviously would assist but it takes time to run faster so be patient.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
two main things I've found help improve my speed, strength training - particularly hard hill repetitions, and speedwork on the track so your legs get used to turning over quicker... as Steve so rightly says, it takes time, so you'll have to be a little patient :((

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I agree with the other two gents, speed work and hills would be my suggestion too.

Another thing I would suggest is replacing one of your runs with a cross-crountry/trail run - the changing terraing will help you build strength/speed for your normal road runs.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
what would you do as a hill rep..

is it just a case of quick pace up and then gentle recover back down..rep up gentle back down etc??

also same for track work... what would you do as a session?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hills I'd normally do as you had, hard run up, easy jog down... sometimes at the club we'll do a circuit which includes a number of hills as part of a normal run, some people just run these steadily, some (like myself occasionally) will push hard and wait at the top as recovery.

For a track session, session varies... I'll never do the same session from one week to the next. Most sessions I do involve running at a certain race pace, for the race distance (or a smidge more), but broken into intervals, so last monday I did 4x1.5mi @ 10k pace... or another session I did 11x400m @ 3k pace. 11th August (if you want to browse my training blog for details) I did a session suggested by my father running varying distances at varying paces.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello!

I was wondering how I can best train to become faster...
I do run a lot, about 45km per week. This normally consists of a 20K run, a 10K run and two shorter runs.
The 20K run, I take quite leisurly at around 6 - 6.15 min/km and the other runs I do at around 5.20 - 5.30 min/km. One of them normally is a hill run.
Well, I have become a little bit faster during the last month, however, I would love to get below 5 min/km, but it just seems impossible!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve my speed?
Thanks,
Jen.

im in the same boat as you, i reckon i do a km in 5min10sec and it feels as if i'll never get my 10k under 50 minutes, im going to take everyones advice and do some hills:|

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your replies!
I was wondering... how steep are your hills? Where I live, there are a few really steep ones, and some that are just slightly uphill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts