Runners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just started running and working out in the last 5 months. My main question is that I’ve been running every single day in that time. I’ve not taken a rest day in 5 months. Everyday I rotate between 100 push ups/crunches or 100 curls/squats then when I’m done I go for a 5 to 7 mile run. I feel fantastic and I’m in the best shape of my life at 36 years old. Do I even need to take a rest day from running at this point? I have run no less than 5 miles a day for the last 60 days straight. No injuries, no soreness, nothing like that. Should I take a rest day a week or just keep on keeping on?

·
4,403 Posts
Are the runs all at the same pace/intensity?
It's not the miles you put in, it's what you put into the miles.
The body needs rest for any adaptation to training stress to take place, this could be active recovery rather than complete rest.
You are the one that knows what your body is feeling and you will know when rest/recovery is needed.
No two people are the same what suits me will not suit you and vice versa.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think the basic principle of most exercise/training is that muscles and ligaments are effectively stretched and stressed during workouts meaning recovery is essential to becoming stronger.

Decide what you want from running. Is it purely for fun or do you fancy entering events in the future? If it’s the latter then rest days become critical to improving. Mixing it up a bit in terms of tempo and distance is also key.

I record all my runs and that means I can work out confidently what I’m capable of on any day based on what I’ve run earlier in the week or even month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow John, I would have had an injury after all of that but it looks like your body is strong enough to do it. You've earnt a rest if you want it, I'd say it's up to you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts