Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i decided i liked cross country and decided to take it up, ive progressed pretty well and found it easier each week. I also run abit further when i feel i should as well...

However on the 4th week and 5th i was starting to get pains under my knee cap ONLY when i run...

but i can feel it abit if i rub it just sitting about...

should i quit my training?

i hope not i love the sport

and i dont wanna take any time of or ill loose my fitness level?

(I run about 3 - 4 times a week, and ime only 14, does this have anythgn to do with it?)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I think you might have pushed too far too fast a little; has your weekly mileage gone up a lot these past few weeks?

My suggestion - try resting it for a couple of days then start again doing the mileage you were on before it started to hurt. Then, after a week or two, increase it by no more than 10% per week.

Have fun :cool:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Try sticking a damp towel in the freezer and then place it across your knees after your runs. It should help to bring down the inflamation - what shoes are you running in? You could also try some exercises to strengthen your quads and knees . A simple one is to sit on the floor with your legs out straight in front of you. Raise one leg off the floor slightly and pulse (move up and down slightly) for 1 minute. Then repeat on the other leg.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try to rest for more than two days, possibly three days - that way you will get rid of this pain.

I had splint chin before and tried R.I.C.E, but it didn't help. Now, I am trying three days rest after each run and it's working nicely. Give your fresh leg time to recover and after few months you can get back to your normal routine.

Good luck

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Ease off a little! It sounds like you're eager to be the bst you can be at the sport, which is fantastic! But go at it too eagerly and you'll end up damaging yourself.

You may not want to take time off to 'rest' but sufficient rest between runs will benefit your training a lot more than taking weeks off if you become injured!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts