Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am taking up running for the challenge and to increase my fitness levels, however I am at a loss where to start as I do not want to overdo it, but do want to give myself a good workout.

I have read that everyones starting point is different, I for instance play golf at least once a week (a lot of walking trust me as I tend to hit the ball everywhere!), play football infrequently, am not overweight but not as fit as I used like to be. (Played football to 16 years old - 24 now). So am unsure of how long to run for to start.

Ideally my goal is to run in the London Marathon one day. Is it realistic to aim for 2007 or am I being a complete idiot and should look to 2008?!

I understand that this will take a dedicated running schedule and also realise that this is not to be taken lightly - I enjoy a challenge and want to have something to aim for.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated

Thanks

Liam

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If your new to running I would highly recommend a walk/run training programme even if you think you are relatively fit because running takes it out on your body. Not only can it be fairly aerobic but it also takes it out on your limbs & joints so make sure you aim to run about 3 times a week to allow your legs adequate recovery.

Intially you will probably try to run too fast but you should run fast enough so that you can comfortably hold a conversation with someone. You will probably want to build up your endurance base before worrying about your speed. Once you can run comfortably for 30 mins you can start to build up your mileage but no more than 10% per week.

I want to enter my local half marathon next year and I'd been builidng up to it by starting on a 5K walk/run training programme, then builidng up to a 10K programme with the view of starting a half marathon programme but I've been struck down by injury. I'd never really been into running before but I did a couple of aerobics clases and yoga and I thought I would be able to run for longer than I actually could intially. Walk/run programmes actually do work and I found it encouraging eveytime I hit my target run times. I've even joined a local running club and discovered that runner's come in all shapes and sizes so I'm certainly not the slowest.

There are lots of training programmes out there - try googling them but if your dream is to do the FLM go for it but don't over do it - just remember to listen to your body and don't be ashamed to walk.

·
Registered
419 Posts
liam2282 said:
Ideally my goal is to run in the London Marathon one day. Is it realistic to aim for 2007 or am I being a complete idiot and should look to 2008?!
Plenty of people will start running at Xmas (or later) and some will be ready to run FLM in April 2007.

So I think if you start now you can run a good FLM race in 2007.

However, I think you are much more likely to enjoy your running and do better (less injuries and many more smiles) if you take your time - spend a couple of seasons really enjoying running 10km and Half Marathons and then move up to bigger distances! (And maybe a tri too ;-) )

It's your call - good luck with enjoying it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
many thanks for your advice, I think given what you've said and what I have subsequently read, I will gradually build up my running until the end of the year and then see how far I have pushed myself in terms of the FLM. If I am not ready to begin a program to get me ready for it I will look to the 2008 one and therefore have many more months experience under my belt.

Once again thanks for your advice

Liam

·
Registered
419 Posts
liam2282 said:
many thanks for your advice, I think given what you've said and what I have subsequently read, I will gradually build up my running until the end of the year and then see how far I have pushed myself in terms of the FLM. If I am not ready to begin a program to get me ready for it I will look to the 2008 one and therefore have many more months experience under my belt.

Once again thanks for your advice

Liam
One extra bit of at advice - APPLY FOR FLM FOR 2007 - your chances are so small (1 in 4? 1 in 5?) - so you may as well starting getting the applications in... you can always defer for a year if you decide you are not ready once you've got the place through the ballot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts