Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may sound stupid and I can hear you all laghing at me, and has taken some courage to ask for help from you. Hope I'm not waisting anyones time. How can I get around running in the rain...takes my brath away and is slowly eroding my motivation. I love running (well Jogging really) I have been running for about six months and am managing to run 3 miles in 35 min. I have a full time job and most can only run in the evenings. I run Mon, Wed and Fri. I hate the gym and am affraid I will just give up which is a shame. Hope this isn't such a bad question:sick:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF.

Most of us like running in the rain...drizzle anyway...though actually stepping out to run when it is already raining is a different matter.

I wonder if you try to run faster when it is raining...hence losing your breath.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi Bish!
Don't worry - I seen stupider questions! I think its a matter of getting out and just getting used to it (especially in the UK!!!) Just try to relax and concentrate on your posture and breathing, so it doesnt get erratic - I actually find it refreshing now, especially when I am warm. I would also suggest, unless its windy, just wearing a technical top, not a t-shirt (as this will get heavy) and not a waterproof over the top as you may be over-heating (me last night!!) which is making it even more difficult. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hi there Bish,

Welcome to RF..

Fact is you cannot really avoid running in the rain, a majority of my club runs last winter was all in the rain, so even if you start out not running in the rain you may end up in it, as was the case with us last year.

I actually prefer running in the rain, it cools you down etc.. the real test is if you want to run three times a week and no less you will have to brave it .

You do after a while get used to it

Welcome again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running in the rain

Thanks all, I was starting to feel foolish thinking perhaps normal people didn't run in the rain and I was missing something. Maybe I do try and run faster as I am finding it hard going against the wind. Means there are so many nice people out there was wondering if anyone had tips for what I do next. Really I only started to run for a fun run thingy and found I really enjoyed it and I haven't stoped since. For the fun run I had to get upto 3 miles which I can know do fairly comfortabley. Whats next should I try and go faster. longer???? although I do enjoy the fact I'm not out long, could never imagine running a marathon or anything. :idea:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
personally if i was in your position i would look to train for a race... nothing too long... around 10k 'ish (6miles)
or if you can find one... try entering a 5k

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Same as the rest, it's definately something you get use to, never look forward to going out if it's already raining but once I'm running I quite like it as it keeps me cool.

Next step ?? - maybe enter a local 10K race and have something a bit longer and maybe faster to look forward to, helps me train having a goal to aim at.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
although I do enjoy the fact I'm not out long, could never imagine running a marathon or anything. :idea:
You will definitely get a lot of support from here.. To be honest I felt the same beginning of this year! I just started to train for a 5km, because I liked the charity. Then ended up running about 4 10kms before the 5km which I had all the sponsorship for!! Since then I have applied for 2 half marathons - and a marathon doesnt seem quite so bad (although still a big jump!) I reckon just signing up for these things makes you just get on and do the training. I was also lucky to have a group run with me from the gym - before I joined a club... just take each step at a time! :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I get a kick out of going out in shorts and a light running top when everyone else is buttoned up and huddling under umbrellas.

But it does help to be ever so slightly insane :lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
i must admit that the rain doesn't demotivate me anywhere near as much as a hot sunny day does.

then again, being from Glasgow, if i only ran when it was dry I'd be lucky to clock up 10k a year.

i find signing up for races is the best motivational tool for me. fear of public embarrassment certainly focuses the attention and gets you out training.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Good advise from everyone, welcome to the forum.

It might help to wear a cap to keep the rain of your face a bit. That might help with your breathing?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bish... just so you know, no such thing as a silly question here! Feel free to ask anything, no matter how silly you might feel it is - chances are, someone else will be feeling pretty similar! :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
That's not totally true Beasty. I haven't as yet interfered with any of my dogs!
Why do the two little words 'as yet' in that statement slightly concern me ? :d

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bish

I was feeling the same about asking maybe silly questions. I only joined th forum yesterday and cannot believe how freindly the people are here. Only started my training last week but I have already signed up for the B'ham half marathon 26th Oct 2008 I am hopeful that my application will be successful for the London marathon and today I am thinking I will sign up for the Walsall 10k run on Sunday 28th Sept setting out these sort of goals will keep you motivated I am sure. I think you need to set yourself small targets/goals to achieve like running 3 miles in 30 mins like extending the run from 3 miles to 4 miles etc.. This way you are not being unrealastic with your goals/targets and you will want to continue to set these targets/goals and you will get a buzz out of achieving them. It certainly works for me although my goals sa far have been gym related.. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts