Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I'd probably say new to the sport too.

I'm looking for some advice on improving my running in general.

I play rugby union, I'm a flanker. I've always had a good level of fitness and strength/stamina. In 2018 I suffered a piriformis injury. This put all training on hold, apart from upper body work.

I'm a 28 year old female. My body stats are pretty horrific at the moment. My muscle mass is 33.1% but my fat is at 37%!!! It was around 19% in 2017.

I'm working hard to get back in shape.

My gym reopened on the 31st of August. I went back and started on strength work and cardiovascular work. Initially, I was walking on the treadmill (speed 4) with an incline of 2. I walked around 2km per day at this intensity.

After a week, I tried a jog. I upped the speed to 4.5 (I know this is slow) and ran 100m and felt a twinge. So I stopped there.

Last week, I jogged 1km at the pace of 4.5

Today I did the same but upped the speed to 4.8

My aim in the next week is to get my speed up to 5.5.

When I've achieved this, I plan on adding 500m every few days and sticking with the speed at around 5.

I just want to ask if I'm wasting my time here? Should I be running faster? Should I be running longer?

Is there a better way in getting my stamina back?

Sorry if this question is a bit all over the place. I'm not sure if I've explained everything well but I'd be over the moon with any help.

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'd have to be a bit hard on you and say you have to accept where you are not where you think you ought to be. I'd recommend a so-called couch to 5 km programme such as Couch to 5K: week by week. I appreciate you are already off the couch, which is a great start, but such a programme is designed to be manageable and doable.

Having said that, running would,not be the first choice for getting weight under control. I would guess you need to control your calorie intake primarily. Stamina will come back as you work through such a programme and cut down what you are carrying around that doesn't help. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd have to be a bit hard on you and say you have to accept where you are not where you think you ought to be. I'd recommend a so-called couch to 5 km programme such as Couch to 5K: week by week. I appreciate you are already off the couch, which is a great start, but such a programme is designed to be manageable and doable.

Having said that, running would,not be the first choice for getting weight under control. I would guess you need to control your calorie intake primarily. Stamina will come back as you work through such a programme and cut down what you are carrying around that doesn't help. Best of luck!
Hi Steve,

Yes I'm way off the mark! I have a slog ahead of me. My base rate for calories is 1800 per day.

At the moment I'm on 1250 per day. Since the 31st of August I've lost a stone. I'm doing a lot of strength training along side running. The air assualt bike is something I've become very familiar with (unfortunately).

I will have a look at couch to 5km. I am back at rugby so doing a lot of start stop

1 - 3 of 3 Posts