Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to run while i was in school and college, however havent run properly for the past 4 or 5 years. I have just started again this week and am currently getting times of around 26 minutes for 5k is this average for someone who hasnt run for a long time?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Max

I have recently taken up running again after a 20+ years lay off. However, in this time I have still swam (swum??) on a regular basis and cycled a great deal (I have to I cannot drive!!) so my fitness hasn’t suffered too much apart from suffering a heart attack and 6 years later having a stent inserted!!!!! I, personally, don’t get too hung up on times or distance I just go out, run, and enjoy the experience. However, I do appreciate the desire of some runners to get faster or run further or both. Not being an expert on times I would think that someone getting back into the swing can be very pleased with your 5k time.

Welcome to the forum, everyone here is very helpful and they are all a nice bunch of people:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Max

Welcome to RF.

You're doing great for someone who hasn't run in a long time, good for you.

TT :d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the positve comments everyone! i was thinking of entering 5k race in the next 3-4 months however wanted to know if anyone knew of any particular training techniques for a 5k race? e.g distances to run, intensity etc. or is it best to just continue running 5k practice runs?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well you could google for 5k running schedules...but if you do regular runs including speed sessions, fartlek sessions within your steady runs and try to do a longer run each wek say of about 4miles...but do it slowly..you'll get round a 5k race with no problem.

Try to run at least 4 days a week but don't go for it everytime!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts