Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
admin said:
Welcome to the world of running.

If you are new to running ask your questions here and our members will do their best to help.

Don't be shy! We all had to start somewhere.
I am 36 and would like to get fit in 2006. I am interested in running and think it will be a good way to get fit and stay fit. I went out running yesterday thinking I would start with a mile, ha ha what a shock I had. I did not realize how unfit I was and how difficult it was on my breathing and also my legs. Can anyone advise me of an action plan to start of with to eventually get me fit. I have also said I would compete in the Manchester 10K run in May!!! Help I must be mad

I am 36 and would like to get fit in 2006.

I am interested in running and think it will be a good way to get fit and stay fit. I went out running yesterday thinking I would start with a mile, ha ha what a shock I had. I did not realize how unfit I was and how difficult it was on my breathing and also my legs.

Can anyone advise me of an action plan to start of with to eventually get me fit. I have also said I would compete in the Manchester 10K run in May!!! Help I must be mad

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to the world of running!

Hello Karen, and welcome to Runners Forum! First of all you are not mad! We all have to start somewhere, I remember when I first started running I could barely get round the block! Now I can comfortably run 10 miles. I guarantee you will feel healthier as you build up your fitness.

As you are starting from scratch I would advise making a plan of when you are going to run. Your first aim should be to run a mile and feel like you could do more. Plan 3-4 sessions 1 mile sessions a week. After a few weeks you should start to feel an improvment. Then you can look to increase the distance, the key is to build things up gradually.

Don't give up if it gets hard and don't look for excuses not to run.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
If you're just starting out it's important to ensure you have a decent pair of trainers. Unsuitable footwear will just lead to an injury.

And always compare how you feel before your start to how you feel when you have finished. I have never got back from a run and regretted doing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some good advice offered above Karen, once you are running 3-4 miles comfortably you may want to join your local running club. They'll be plently of people for you to run with and it will really help with your training. People new to running tend to think that running clubs are full of 'fast' runners but I can assure you that's not the case. Think of them as a social club for people who like running.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Find yourselfa run / walk schedule. These are much eaiser to follow when you first start. Much better to be out for 25 minutes of manageable chunks then dying on your feet after 10 minutes. Get a plan but don't get upset if you miss a session or feel you need to repeat a week. Plans are designed for the masses and one plan doesn't fit all. Real life gets in the way some times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if clubs seem a bit scary, try the 'women's running network' (google it) - they tend to cater very well for less-speedy beginners.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good advice above. To summarise :

1. Get some proper running shoes. This means go to a proper running shop (NOT JJB Sports or the like) Tell where you live, we'll recommend one.

2. Find a program - either run/walk or run only but the common theme is that your aim should be to gradually increase the time/distance you run. Do not worry about speed, it will happen naturally.

3. Run slowly - you should not be knackered at the end of a training session, but fell like you could have gone on for longer

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi i wondered if u could give me a name or a place of where i could get some running shoes from, if thats possible? i come from south west/devon/somerset/taunton/Exeter around there, didnt know what to put lol.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can't help with a specific shop, but you need to avoid the likes of JJB, JD, Sports World etc, who sell shoes asa fashion items rather than running gear. If no-one on here can help, call a running club and ask for advice, or stop a runner and ask them!

·
Registered
105 Posts
littlestarter said:
hi i wondered if u could give me a name or a place of where i could get some running shoes from, if thats possible? i come from south west/devon/somerset/taunton/Exeter around there, didnt know what to put lol.
i really recommend that you buy your first pair of shoes from a running shop. they will advise you and look at your gait incase you pronate and need a particular shoe. don't skimp on price, i find that you tend to get what you pay for. in particular if you are worried about injuries or on the heavy side go for maximum cushioning ( i personally use azics gel keyano which are now about 110 pounds but can be got for 70 to 80 if you shop around).

you are also well advised to join a running club. it is not as daunting as you think, and you may well find people to run with at weekends. it will also get you out on a dark miserable winter's evening, knowing that 50 other people will suffer the wind and rain with you. our club has several runners who will do about 12 min miles but they are very valued members. a list of running clubs can be got from uk athletics web site

http://www.ukathletics.net/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4854-164156-181373-nav-list,00.html

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Littlestarter,
Do you live anywhere near Plymouth? If you do try Frank Elfords on Mayflower Street -I bought my trainers there and they were very helpful and very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm also 36 and just started running. I've entered the local race for life and I'm following a 5K run/walk programme. At first I struggled to run for 1 minute but now I'm up to 8 mins and feeling really chuffed. I'm also going to try a local running club.

I also bought my shoes from my local running shop - don't bother with a high street chain. Good luck with your race.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Karen ive just started for the same reasons you did but dont like running alone so ive joined the forum to get advice on running groups etc. Ps does it get easier the first run i did i ended up feeling like i smoked 50 a day and ive never smoked in my life. ha

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome Stotty,

It will get easier. You just need to persevere and make sure you don't push yourself too hard too soon.
My other half didn't start running 'til her early 30s and ran a marathon within 2 years so it can be done. Not saying you should aim for a marathon at this stage but it would be wise to have an attainable target to go for.

ALL THE BEST

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Steady Edwina, reading your message to karen has reminded me of the stage i'm at at the moment, running is something that i'd really love to get into, its free and you can do it any time so it fits the bill for me. I'm just trying to get people to run with right now and hopefully they'll be no stopping me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts