Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started running with a friend 2 months ago for race for life. have never been good at running (smoked behind the bushes on cross country at school) and so started by running and walking 0.5 miles, now can run 3.7 without stopping which takes about 35-40 mins but this seems to have plateaued. want to be able to run 6 miles (10 k) comfortably. we consistently run twice a week and i try to do an additional day either on the road or in the gym with some leg weights. i work and have 3 kids so finding more time than this isn't really possible. my friend's slightly better than me so this is an extra push. our terrain is hilly lanes which we vary. should we run and walk a longer distance or try to do our current distance quicker? i personally find it incredibly difficult to get going once i've stopped. we have a goal to do a 10 k next summer and a half marathon maybe the following year. there is a 10 k in september this year but this may be too soon. all suggestions greatfully received.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I was in a similar position to you last year when I finished my race for life. I started to add 5 mins a week to my longest run until I gradually built up to running for 1 hr.

I guess the answer to your question is I would focus on getting your distance up initially and when you have a decent basis you can focus on some speed work. I'm finding that speedwork doesn't have to be overly complicated and it doesn't involve running until you puke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. i prefer this idea than having to run faster as i have only just sorted out my breathing. x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts