Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate a bit of advice.

I've been running for 2/3 months (although I used to run a few years ago) and am coming towards the end of a beginners (12 week) 5k training schedule I found online. It's an Ironbridge one: long run on Sunday, quality run and hard run (on flat or hilly route) during the week and another run on Saturday.

My times have been along the lines of 15.38 for two miles, 23/24 for three miles and 34 mins for four miles.

The same website also gave an intermediate 5k schedule which it said can be used as a follow-on to the beginners schedule, but it seems to be just the same schedule as the beginners one with more miles added. A third, more advanced version includes speedwork, hills etc but the website recommends that the intermediate schedule is finished first.

But I read somewhere that doing the same thing in training for over 12 weeks isn't a good idea?

Any advice about a training schedule to carry on from the one I'm about to finish? I've very recently bought a Nike+ Sportsband if the training routine provided by Nike+ online is any good?

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Im glad you've asked that. Theres loads of advice and schedules for total beginners and getting up to running 5k and plenty of stuff for the advanced on the internet but very little on what to do at the inbetween stages of ability. Thanks mate !

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'd recommend going for the Intermediate programme, as the increase in mileage will benefit your running. Also, it will make it easier for you to handle the speedwork and hills in the more advanced programmes.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I guess it really depends what you want out of your training and how much time you have. The obvious thing would be to go and test yourself by running a 5K race.

After that you need to decide if you want to go for speed or distance. For speed race regularly and push yourself. For distance start on a 10K schedule.

Or you could just run. At the moment I am more interested in weight loss than speed and don't follow a particular schedule. I run and listen to my body to gauge how far. So today I ran 9 miles and tomorrow I will just do a few so my legs can recover.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses - I wanted to check that I wasn't making a big mistake by following one 12-week schedule with a very similar one.

I'll carry on with the intermediate one for now and probably move on to 10k sooner or later. I enjoy watching my times improve (31.30mins yesterday for four miles on a hilly route) so I'll stick with 5K for a bit longer, and probably try a race in a few months.

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
my thought would be that as long as you're increasing the mileage, then the body will be forced to adapt to manage the extra miles - so from that point of view it's not that similar to your old schedule ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts